Is my starter failing? Recommendations on new one?

lalojamesliz1

About 1 out of 3 times that I start my all-trac the starter pauses while cranking like it gets jammed. Now it's starting to make a horrible grinding noise sometimes :pissed:
I'll try to pull it out today to inspect the gear but of it is the gear stripping, can I buy a replacement gear or do I need to find a new starter? Any suggestions on good reliable starters for this engine?

Update: I just got home from work and just shut off my engine without cooling the turbo down So I turned my engine back on and after the engine started I heard a loud humming noise from my engine bay kinda like a electric motor being over revved. I l popped the hood and the noise was coming from my starter area so I turned off the engine and and I heard the starter like if it was cranking while the engine was turning off.
I'm guessing the starter gear didn't retract so the starter was engaged while I had the engine on. :x

lalojamesliz1

Well I bought the one from O'Reilly but the relay/solenoid plug on my harness was npt the same. Being pissed off I just got my original and took it apart and got it going good.
The problem I found was the plunger copper contact terminals were only making contact on one edge. I guess I didn't tighten them good enough when I replaced them and they moved. This time I tightened the starter main power cable with the plunger cover off to verify nothing moved and then installed the starter.
I also sprayed the drive gear shaft that gets pushed out with some lube :p
Thanks for the suggestions guys

FC Zach

lalojamesliz1":14gt33lr said:
Well I bought the one from O'Reilly but the relay/solenoid plug on my harness was npt the same.

I see there's two part numbers they have available (R712438B & R712404B), should have swapped it out. . I don't see a difference in the photos though.

lalojamesliz1

Yes they do look the same huh, my car just has a different plug though. The store by me only has the larger 1.6kw in stock and it was the only oreillys store out of several others that had it. The box was dusty as hell too lol