what kind of oil and why?

killer_siller

i just bought a 1988 st165 w/ 65k miles on it. i was wondering what everyone is using for their oil; what weight they are using; how often they change it; what filter they are using; and why:

on my 91 celica gt w/ 193k miles on it i always used mobile 1 10w40 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. i changed it every 3k miles. i always used the orange grip filters (ones that have the grip to 'em) from k&n (i think their the ones that made it, but i'm so tired that i can't even think right now. someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Gary

Mobile One will do the job.
I'm using 15W50 during the summer and 10W30 in winter.
I change it every 2500 miles or 3 months.
Factory Toyota filter ($6) or TRD filter if I can find one.

Rick89GTS

Mobile 10w30 winter and 15w50 for summer.
I use Fram oil filters but the consensus seems to say they are crap so I'm gonna go Toyota OEM next oil change.

turbo4wd

I currently use Valvoline Racing 20w50. I've got a tired engine, and when rebuild time comes, I'll switch to Mobil 1, but until then, the dino juice is doing just fine for me.. I change every 2500 or every 3 months.

I try to avoid Fram filters at all costs and will only use it if I'm in a tight bind.. Otherwise it'll be Toyota OEM, Bosch, or Purolator in order from best to worst option..

turbo4wd

No it doesnt.. unless you leave the car sitting there for a few days.. it'll just pour out like no tomorrow.. the main reason I avoid using it is because more than a few people have told me that the filter elements have broken up causing some engine damage..

My co-worker/friend who used to be a tech at Toyota also mentioned one key thing.. If the OEM filter ever fails and causes any damage to your engine, Toyota will cover it under their warranty..

Rick89GTS

turbo4wd":542i8c69 said:
....If the OEM filter ever fails and causes any damage to your engine, Toyota will cover it under their warranty....

Sounds good but proving that may be tougher....

SLC Punk

I use 10W30 Mobil 1 all year around. I change it every 2500 miles or 3 months. The three months usually comes first.

I only use Toyota OEM filters on both of my babies!

alltrac4life

10w40 royal purple
toyota filter

if your engine doesnt use oil, then royal purple would be a good idea. Around here where i live napa sells it for $4.95 per quart, so its not that expencive. If your engine uses oil then get valvaline durablend if you like the synthetic oil. Or just get some castrol 10w30 oil. Thats my .02 cents