diff oil change

zblu81

I want to change the diff oil in my car. Looking at the diff I cant figure out how to change the oil with out taking it off the car. How have you guys done it?

turbo4wd

When you look at the rear diff, you'll see the two bolts that are for the diff mount.. Don't touch those.. if you look off the the left, you'll notice a hole, thats where the fill plug is located.. and of course the drain plug is on the bottom..

Gary

I think this pic is from Tim Plessing? :?:

rear_differential.jpg

mototebok

You can also get a fluid pump from any auto parts place. Will be red with black end caps, and hose comming out of each end. The side near the pump handle is the outlet.

Just stick the other tube into your gear lube container, and then the outlet tube into the fill hole, and pump away.

Rick89GTS

Gary":k7jv5mzr said:
I think this pic is from Tim Plessing? :?:

reardiffandplugs.jpg

Gary, that's my yellow diff!
hehe.gif

Dunno what the green arrow was pointing at in the first pic but
the small red bolt on top is the FILL hole,
the big red bolt on the botton is the DRAIN hole.

Here is another angle:
diffpaxside.jpg

*A siphon gun is cheap and also works well for filling :mrgreen:

SLC Punk

I just used the mobil 1 bottle shown above. I attached enough fuel line to it to be able to squeeze all of the fluid out.

zblu81

ahh, ok. I've not seen one of those pumps at the auto part store....I'm going to look for one now

Thanks everyone for posting

zblu81

found one. now i'm trying to change the oil. I almost drained it first but decided I should try the fill plug first, to make sure it comes off w/o breaking and to check the level. Right now its stcuk so I hit it with some penatrant and am taking a little break.

Rick89GTS

zblu81":3re3llot said:
found one. now i'm trying to change the oil. I almost drained it first but decided I should try the fill plug first, to make sure it comes off w/o breaking and to check the level. Right now its stcuk so I hit it with some penatrant and am taking a little break.

:idea: Here's a tip:
The fill plug is a 10mm bolt that is actually mounted on a larger 17mm bolt. Use a deep socket to bypass the 10mm one and it'll come off much easier with the bigger bolt. Double check the size though, as I don't recall 100% if it's 17mm, could be 14mm. :mrgreen:

zblu81

Ow! busted my knuckle on the cement but I got it. The '185 may be different than your '165... its a 12mm mounted on a 24

Rick89GTS

zblu81":q3l576au said:
Ow! busted my knuckle on the cement but I got it. The '185 may be different than your '165... its a 12mm mounted on a 24

You're welcome, glad I could help.
12 & 24mm may be right, it's been a coupla years since I did my 165 :wink: