New $250 Alltrac owner needs help!

jimjovan

Hi,

I just bought a 1989, black, Celica Alltrac for $250. The car is in good condition except the engine was over-heated due to a leaking water pump and it burns quite a bit of oil. I an thinking the rings are cooked.

Basically, I want to fix the car up and use it as a back-up vehicle to my '92 Laser RS AWD. I would like to do a few simple mods, but keep the car basically stock.

It's funny, I used to be an auto technician at a Toyota dealership back when Alltracs were new. In fact, I kind of remember prepping at least one black one back in 1988 or so. I remember looking over the engine bay and thinking "man, I wouldn't want to work on one of these things". How things change?

I'm hoping one of you guys could help me with a few questions:

I am looking at getting a JDM engine/trans. How hard is it to upgrade to a ST185? I'm not scared of a little wiring and exhaust work, but I would like to keep the stock ECM.

Can the stock water to air intercooler be retained?

Did Toyota do anything strange like change the differential gear ratios for the japanese market (can I use the JDM tranny)?

I have found the old school ST165 JDM engine/trannys are really cheap right now ($950). The ST185s are more expensive, but they have a better head, turbo, etc.

I'd like to stay away from doing an engine rebuild as I have way to many projects going right now.

Any thoughts?

Stubble

Good idea keeping the Alltrac as the back-up. Once you get it going, it will be nice and reliable while you attempt to keep the Laser on the road :wink:

mototebok

Yep, people who have them and don't really appreciate them are selling them dirt cheap after they don't take good care of them. More for us! :D

hmph. i wouldn't mind another st165 for 250 :wink:

anyway...yeah...i have a jdm st185 engine in my 165. but all the info you need is provided by chris.