New CS owner! Need help with cv's!

tooch

Hey all, pls welcome me to your club, I am from Melbourne Australia. Just bought an ST185 Group A, and am currently fixing a few problems so I can get it registered!

I had the front cv boots replaced, and re-fitted the shafts the same way I took them out, however it sounds like I am getting a strange grinding sound when the car is moving and I turn...is it possible for the shafts to be put in wrongly so that they dont fit into the gearbox thingy's properly? They bolted up fine with no problems, but just wondering if that inner gear thing at the end could not be in properly? Otherwise I am thinking it may be the tie rods too tight when I put them back in... :shrug:

Apart from that, I have replaced lots of little things like belts, steering rack boots etc with no problems, but I am waiting on a knock sensor now cos mine has died :x

illGT4

Welcome!

The only thing I can suggest is getting it up on a lift and turning the wheels and seeing if something rubs.

Be careful when putting the axles in you don't damage the seals too.

But I'm sure you are being careful.. just don't want you to accidently damage them. (like me)

tooch

Yeah might have to do that again!
By seals you mean the cv boots? Yeah i've been careful with them, they were just replaced so I dont wanna break them!

illGT4

tooch":bvuhxsho said:
By seals you mean the cv boots? Yeah i've been careful with them, they were just replaced so I dont wanna break them!

The gearbox axle seals. They fit inside the gearbox where the axle goes in.

tooch

illGT4":2n4xzdmb said:
tooch":2n4xzdmb said:

The gearbox axle seals. They fit inside the gearbox where the axle goes in.

Ahh nah I didn't touch them, I left the shaft end things in the gearbox and just removed the axles if you know what I mean!

Rick89GTS: No haven't done that yet, I just put everything back in and did up all the nuts and bolts tight to make sure it was all in properly, but I will check that now that you mention it :)

tooch

So just to make sure, is it possible that the axle isn't seated in the gearbox shaft thing properly, or will they not bolt up if it isn't seated? Just trying to eliminate some things!