EVAP/ other emissions stuff

busdriver

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the evap and charcoal canister setup? What about the other emissions stuff? I don't have to worry about any emissions laws here in MT, so I thought I would take advantage of it provided it was worth it. Also, when I purchased my car it had no egr, I was wondering if anyone had a pretty good pick of the intake manifold w/ and w/out the egr so I can make sure everything was disconnected properly. Thanks.

Gary

You can get rid of those stuffs if you need more space in the engine bay.
You don't have the EGR, did someone remove it or is this JDM engine that came without the EGR? Here are few pics of USDM intake manifold (with EGR).

busdriver

Thanks for the pics Gary. I'm not sure if it is a JDM motor or not, I ran a carfax report on it and got a whole lot of nothing, I know I am the third owner and it has never been owned outside MT, that's about it.
I know the wiring harness hasn't been extended or anything like that (someone mentioned that the JDM motors have the harness on the other side; this correct?) I have the thing in the garage somewhat disassembled and looked for the serial # on the block but couldn't find it, anyone have specific location? So still don't know whether it is JDM or USDM.

On topic, do the evap and charcoal canister do anything beneficial to the engine?

Gary

busdriver":1nmxh155 said:
On topic, do the evap and charcoal canister do anything beneficial to the engine?
Performance-wise, no.
Environmental-wise, yes.

Here is the JDM intake manifold (No EGR)

busdriver

I am pretty sure that it is either a JDM intake manifold and head, or the whole damn thing is JDM. After looking at the first pics you found for me (thanks again) I have no holes in the intake at all where the egr bolts up, and the tube going down and to the right on the pic has nowhere to bolt up to on my engine. This is good!!!!

inmanirevised.jpg

I circled the places I don't have any mounts. And the little clip for the wires on my car goes nowhere, just lays there.

One other question, I read on another thread that wih the USDM ecu I should get a CEL with no egr, I have no CEL and the light works just fine. Any suggestions on this?

goldfish

I removed EGR this weekend and I didn't get any CEL. My guess is that the people who get the CEL keep the sensor plugged in and since it in part runs off vacume and the bottom hose on it is left open, it throws an error... Just a guess though. I removed everything and dont have a problem :)