st185 jdm compared to the usdm 3sgte?

903SGTE

the engine i will be getting comes with the trans on it already. i was doing some research and found that some jdm transmissions have a diffrent final drive gear? u.s has 3.933 and jdm might have 4.285.. how do i know that this trans will work with my rear end diffrential gearing?? i dont want to isntall this whole thing and then find out i cant drive it due to the diffrence in gearing from the front to the rear.. maybe though due to the transfer case this wouldnt be an issue?? anyone have any ideas on this?? thanks

vip09

My friend just bought a JDM 3sgte front clip. It came with TRD plug wires.. I tried to put them on my usdm engine but the plugs on the wires where they plug into the distributor and coil were way to big.. wouldn't even fit in there.

theUNYTEDone

903SGTE":2rn0g0zs said:
the engine i will be getting comes with the trans on it already. i was doing some research and found that some jdm transmissions have a diffrent final drive gear? u.s has 3.933 and jdm might have 4.285.. how do i know that this trans will work with my rear end diffrential gearing?? i dont want to isntall this whole thing and then find out i cant drive it due to the diffrence in gearing from the front to the rear.. maybe though due to the transfer case this wouldnt be an issue?? anyone have any ideas on this?? thanks

i thought only the ST185CS had a different final drive?

celi703

Sorry for reviving this thread but have a question. I purchased a jdm st185 engine to put in my alltrac. I know it is plug and play expect no egr system. Also the same usdm harness can be used. Is a jdm ecu necessary or the same usdm ecu be used. The reason I ask because the engine is in and it would not start. Anyone have any suggestions? I hope it’s not a fuel pump issue because the car started fine before the swap.

deecee

Holy post dredge! I would recommend starting a new thread next time and referencing this thread with a URL link.

From memory the JDM and USDM ECU's have different pin outs so that matching with a USDM harness could be the issue. I would do a wire trace to ensure that you know which wire is the correct wire to the correct ECU pin.

There are various threads with ECU pinouts and wire colour coding you can use to diagnose the wiring.

underscore

If you're using a USDM ECU, harness, MAF etc then it should be fine. What do you mean by would not start? Does it at least crank?