Impossibilities of finding metal piping for Intakes?!?

jspeccelica

Does anyone know of someone or someplace that sells metal piping for our intake to replace our stock plastic tubing. I can't seem to find a kit for the life of me, at least not one that doens't require moving the battery and removing the AFM. Is it just going to require me to go to my local fab shop and have them make me two 90 degree bends? Please if anyone has info it'd be great...

Gary

Metal conducts more heat.
The silicone one is much better.
Fensport in UK sells the Samco silicone intake.
Alltracman78 has one.
Look really cool and function! (if you want to keep the battery there)
BTW, price is £89.95 :shock:

samco185.jpg

turbo4wd

Why would you want to replace the stock tubing with metal piping? I don't think there's much difference in flow.. So I take it its more for looks?

You could install some straight piping without having to relocate your battery, you just have to move it out of the way further back toward the firewall.

jspeccelica

There isn't any flow benifits from metal piping? And for the silicone piping, it's 165 dollars just for the piping? geeww

turbo4wd

Its a confined space, the benefits would be minimal, and like Gary said, the metal piping will soak up the ambient heat from the engine a lot easier than the stock rubber hose assembly.

The easiest thing to do would be to set up a straight intake up by shifting the battery futher back and opening it up to outside air. You can pull out the fender well trim and remove the resonator box, then run a drier hose or other large diameter hose from the bumper straight to the air filter essentially creating a cold air intake.

Gary

In our car, metal piping is used because we need to weld nipples on the intake route. I would prefer silicone straight intake to metal straight intake. Like Dan siad, the intake route is short, flow gain from metal would be minimal.

alltrac.net

That is the ST205 hose, cut in half. They run $230 in the US!!

The main thing with metal, for me, was that it would never crack. Also for those looking at bling points you can polish it powder coat it etc.

I made one for Rog years ago. It wasnt exact but got the job done. It is basically just 2 90 degree bends with 2 ports in them for the idle and pcv.

If you were willing to give up the PCV, you could use 2 SAMCO bends to make the intake pipe and keep the metal section. Doing it this way would run about $100.