Synchromesh or Redline?

BanhBaoBao

For tranny fluid? I heard pros for both. Discuss?

ps: oh also how much is required to fill it up? I heard 5 point something quarts? And which would you recommend for my tranny which is grinding only going into 3rd gear at high RPMs?

pss: BTW its a 90' Alltrac. :shock:

mototebok

Syncromesh is cheaper.

They Both perform the same.

Redline lasts longer and has a higher thermal breakdown.

Syncromesh is easier to get ahold of.

mototebok

You can get syncromesh from ANY gm dealer's parts department.

And would reccommend it help alleviate a little grinding.

OlyST185

i went at my local GM dealer to have their synchromesh tranny oil and it fucking too high priced. i sticked with a motomaster syntec oil (people in canada will know what brand im talkin about)

xgtfour

I've tried regular gear oil, Redline, & Synchromesh. I can tell you that Synchromesh was positively the best. I bought mine from the local Autozone, it was the Pennzoil Brand, around $5 a quart. Best $25 I ever spent on the car. The car always grinded 2nd since I bought it and it only continued to get worse. I seriously was going to rebuild the transmission or find a ST205 box, Camry, or later model MR2. Since the synchromesh the car has not grinded a gear once. I can even downshift to 2nd now.

Darius
'88 ST165

xgtfour

My synchros were already thrashed. I think the gears grinding on 50% of my shifts is worst than anything the Synchromesh could do to it. Metal to metal grinding is far worse! In short I would have to rebuild the transmission without running the Synchromesh. Not to mention it was dangerous not being able to downshift, or upshift the transmission at higher RPMs. I've seen the debate on the whether it is harmful but I've yet to see a transmission damaged from Synchromesh. Manufacturers always have to cover their own butt by saying their product wasn't originally intended for our transmissions and maybe harmful. So I ask, how healthy is it for the transmission to grind gears?

Darius
'88 ST165

b00staholic

For those that still want to go with Synchromesh....do NOT buy it from a GM dealer, go to your local autostore like Autozone and pick up the Pennzoil Synchromesh, IT IS THE EXACT SAME THING but much cheaper.

You're just wasting money if you get it from the GM dealer.