High Idle w/ AC

jspeccelica

I know that when the compressor comes on, the car usually tends to up the idle a little to get a little more juice from it, when I idle w/o my AC on she idles fine at around 800-900 rpm, but once I turn on the AC it kicks up to 1900 rpm! Is this normal? It wasn't the case in my '91 GT...

Gary

Mine goes up around 1700 rpm. (I have vac leak. :x )
There is an AC idle up control valve on the upper right corner of the engine above the distributor. It looks like adjustable screw with spring. You can adjust that.
See pic here

Click on image for larger pic.

SLC Punk

jspeccelica":1c6usbwb said:
I know that when the compressor comes on, the car usually tends to up the idle a little to get a little more juice from it, when I idle w/o my AC on she idles fine at around 800-900 rpm, but once I turn on the AC it kicks up to 1900 rpm! Is this normal? It wasn't the case in my '91 GT...
Mine does that too. I know that there is an adjustment, but I don't know what it is supposed to be at.

Gary

The AC idle up controller (AC-VSV) raises the idle by letting air bypass the throttle when the AC compressor puts load on idling engine. I don't remember what stock setting is. Gotta check with the BGB.