Starter trouble. Need help FAST.

So I was on my way from Oregon down to Phoenix and I was letting my car cool down at a rest stop and it shut off. I went to start it back up and it wouldn't start.

I immediately thought the starter was just too hot. I checked my volt meter and it was all good. I had full power to everything but the starter would not turn. EVERYTHING was fine but there was NO noise when I turned the key.

I am pretty sure the starter getting hot is causing this problem since I was going for about 8-10 hours in 100 degree weather with the car getting only a 20 min break halfway between.

So if I had to shut the car off it took a rolling start get her going again :roll:

I won't be able to get online for about a week after today so I need help quick. I just want to find out for sure if it's the starter before I go and spend the money on a new one.

Gary":2j7wvp50 said:
Have you checked the fuse?

Yes I have. I also forgot to mention that after letting the motor cool down for an hour or so it will start up again. Do you think it was a thing with the heat being so extreme on the trip? I'm thinking whatever is causing it needs to be taken care of anyway because it seems like something may be getting old.

Dano

This may or may not be it but when I had non-heat related starter problems my local Toyota dealer diagnosed it over the phone as 2 little $12 CDN metal contact strips that often wear out. This was on my MR2 so it was 1.2 hours labour.

That's exactly what I thought of when this happened Chris. I remember you having the same problem. It will be a pain since my battery is in the back of the car, but if I don't have to buy a new starter it is well worth the trouble.

wingnut

This sounds like what might be wrong with my starter. Sure sucks having to leave the car running all the time or parking on an incline to bump start it. Since I've allready put a new starter and relay in and checked all the connections and switches all I can say is HUH?!! I'm no electrician so can someone tell me what exacltly is involved in doing this go-round.

A

Anonymous

By chance did your alarm go off? I remember mine going off and it wouldnt start for a while. Try turning the key to AC then push in and turn the rest of the way. Just a thought.

tweekgt4

does the starter click at all when you turn the key? if it clicks but won't turn then you have the famous starter problem. if yo uget no sound at all, then it's probably a dead starter. you can always remove the starter and take it down to a kragen or pepboys. they offer testing...

silence

this Diagram of a relay:

old thin wire////////////ground

+ from batt_____/ _____starter

looks like russian to me.
I have the same starter problem going on, and am interested in fixing it. the only way i can start the car(before this ignition problem that I am having) was to bridge the connection on the starter with a screwdriver. I have tried wiring a manual switch to the pos terminal on the starter and the thin wire. It worked for a while, but it was a temporary solution. Do you have a better explanation/writeup/pics of how you fixed your 165?

jkgts1

Have you tried tapping the starter? Mine had the same issue with the relay thing, and I fixed it, But my car would still occasionally not start. When I tap the starter it starts right up again. I think it is because I have an aftermarket starter (bosch) though, don't get these, POS.

superalltrac

This same thing happened to my car. I bypassed everything and installed a push button starter. I still turn the key to the on position and then push the button and presto it starts.

silence

FYI
keep a bookmark on that page...I had a push button on my car also, it worked for a few months in combination with the key....eventually even it would not work.