Thermostat ratings

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Thermostat ratings

Postby E_Knight » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:33 pm

What Thermostat do i need to pic up for the Alltrac? What i see mostly is 180
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Toyota Family Includes but not limited to;
90 GT-Four (not been on the road for a year)
97 4Runner Limited 4wd (Work Mobile)
02 Sequioa Limited 4wd (Family Ride)
E_Knight
Club Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:48 am

180* Don't go with a lower temp one.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby etantshi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:43 pm

The TRD one is 170 I believe and you shouldn't have a problem using it.
-----
André B.
1991 ST185 (down but not out)
1990 ST185 (lost, but not forgotten)
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
2004 Yamaha R6 (needs a battery)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:38 pm

why no colder??
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 am

Ecu will stay in the warm-up enrichment and you will waste gas. Cars also make more power when they are warmed up.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby etantshi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:33 am

The 3sgte makes an abundant amout of heat in this chassis, more than needed. The TRD thermostat will not prevent you from making more 'power'. 170 is warmed up. The thermostat simply allows cooler engine coolant to flow into the engine, often times the coolant, after absorbing heat from the passages, is at norm op temp once it leaves the motor and gets to the water elbow (where the sensor is located). The benefit from added heat ruduction from inside the motor can help reduce knock. Under stop and go traffic a lower temp thermostat will likely not even be a factor as the stock cooling system will not be able to take advantage of the thermostat due to the fact that it cannot cool the coolant that low anyway. The thermostat works best for highway driving/pulls and trackdays.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 am

TRD is a 160 degree one. ive had mine on for over a year and a half with no negitive effects. warms up perfectly fine, even when started at below zero, and was daily driven though all 5 blizzards colorado had last winter.

as for making more power either way, thats a lie. you won't make more power if your thermostat opens at 160 or 180. as for the ecu staying in cold-start mod, that will happen when you start the car on a 70 degree day. by the time your coolant temps reach 160, it will be out of cold start mode

if you are looking for a cooler thermostat, i would source a TRD one. from what ive heard, the ATS one will restrict flow a little, and TRD is an exact match physically to the stock one.
^Ted^

went back to the dark side of hondas!!!
(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby etantshi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:39 am

Denver_whiteST185 wrote:TRD is a 160 degree one. ive had mine on for over a year and a half with no negitive effects. warms up perfectly fine, even when started at below zero, and was daily driven though all 5 blizzards colorado had last winter.

as for making more power either way, thats a lie. you won't make more power if your thermostat opens at 160 or 180. as for the ecu staying in cold-start mod, that will happen when you start the car on a 70 degree day. by the time your coolant temps reach 160, it will be out of cold start mode

if you are looking for a cooler thermostat, i would source a TRD one. from what ive heard, the ATS one will restrict flow a little, and TRD is an exact match physically to the stock one.

Is it 160? You're probably right. I couldn't remember which one was which as I know napa has a low one and TRD has one also. It's been nearly 3 years since I put mine in.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:46 am

etantshi wrote:
Denver_whiteST185 wrote:TRD is a 160 degree one. ive had mine on for over a year and a half with no negitive effects. warms up perfectly fine, even when started at below zero, and was daily driven though all 5 blizzards colorado had last winter.

Is it 160? You're probably right. I couldn't remember which one was which as I know napa has a low one and TRD has one also. It's been nearly 3 years since I put mine in.

well, technically, its something in degree's Celsius. i ordered it a long time ago from burien toyota when they still had their TRD site up, and it was advertised at 160 degree's F.

after a few more things that ive got to do to the car, i'll do a coolant change. i'll pull out the thermostat just for kicks since the temperature rating is stamped on the side and see what it says.
^Ted^

(not really, i just own a completely UNmodified 91 civic dx that gets 45+ mpg now)
Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby etantshi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:50 am

It's 160. I just looked it up.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:52 am

If you guys want to make your engines even more inefficient by using the TRD "band-aid" thermostat, go right ahead. I'll stick with my stocker that functions just fine.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby Denver_whiteST185 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:23 am

Band-aid for what?

maybe your not getting the concept. the only thing the thermostat does is open up sooner. normal operation coolant temps are higher than 160 degree. the engine will warm up the exact same with both thermostats up to 160 degress. at 160 degrees, the thermostat will open, allowing radiator fluid to flow into the water pump, and will close when those water temps drop below 160, keeping the fluids entering the engine at 160 degree's or higher. 160 degree water entering the water jackets are NOT going to damage anything, or send the engine into a cold-start cycle, or make it loose power, or cause any sort of significant wear. if you believe that, you are an idiot.
the stock 180 degree one is perfectly fine for a stock car, and even a modified alltrac. however if your making much more that stock power, or you want some breathing room for later mods, i would recommend increasing the cooling capacity of the car, which this is a very easy way to do that.
sure, when its winter time, and your just driving it around, it probably doesn't do anything helpful since its cold enough outside.
it will help decrease the load on the cooling system by allowing fluids to enter at a lower temperature, which will be heated up as soon as the enter the water jackets. the exit temps of coolant once the vehicle is at temperature are going to be higher than 180 degrees even with the 160 degree thermostat, and will be that much higher with a 180 degree thermo.
^Ted^

Denver_whiteST185
GTFour God

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:37 pm

What he said. :twisted:
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:34 am

By putting in a lower temp thermostat you have not increased coolant capacity. The only way to do that is add more coolant. If your car is overheating, a thermostat that opens earlier will not stop it from doing so. All you have done is give yourself a little more time before it overheats. To me, this is a band-aid since you haven't fixed the problem of the cooling system being unable to cool the engine at extended full load. Also, a colder running engine does make LESS power, is LESS efficient and DOES have MORE wear. Perhaps it is you who doesn't understand the concept.

And one last thing, don't ever call me an idiot.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:10 am

Since you really irked me with the idiot comment, I'll help educate you by providing a little reading material. After that, I'm pretty much done with this thread.

You dont have to read much more then the first page on this one:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system.htm

Mr2 owners discuss the TRD thermostat (and the howstuffworks page)
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=247549

Mr2 owners also talk about this all the time, so if you can use the search function go over there and read some more.

Supra owners have the same conclusion
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... p?t=311516

Now I'm not going to waste the remainder of my night posting links (if you owuld like more info, go use google), but hopefully this will help you "understand the concept." And it's a crying shame that all these people are idiots.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Next

Return to General Maintenance and Repair