Thermostat ratings

$200GT-4

The only downsides I was ever aware of on a stock type car running a 160 T-stat was the accelerated wear and possibly richer A?F ratios. I know the diff between 180 and 195 wasn't that much, but when you drop down to 160 (this is all oil temp) things really start to wear out quickly. Also, stock cars always have 195's so they're tuned to run that hot. I don't know when they go into closed loop, but I was always under the impression that a coolant temp of 160 would be walking the line in terms of that. I'd heard people running 5.0 Mustangs saying, on stock electronics, their cars were faster with 195 stats but in my old 350 TBI Chevy truck my truck had noticeably more scoot when running 160 or 180. For wear purposes I fitted a 180 stat, and that's what I try to run all my cars at. In V-8's, coolant also flows through the intake manifold. The cooler the intake is, the cooler the intake charge is, so every car is different. If you're using a standalone it would behoove you to run a 170 or 180 IMO since you can tune your car to be dead on at those temps.

RedCelicaTRD

etantshi":12jhel0k said:
EC Knightrider":12jhel0k said:
Didn't think my thermostat question would get so heated

This is the internet. What did you expect? lol

105.jpg

:D

Shaggz00

RedCelicaTRD":1yj29fdr said:

nice :lol:

It's like the one on the right has conceded to the undeniable fate of this thread, and is already mourning the loss. While the one on the left searches desperately for a solution, lolz

Corey

Thought I'd throw some numbers I recently recorded into this thread: I've been using a 71C TRD Thermostat for ~55,000 km in my Ron Davis Rad.

Recorded using TOYOBD1 Datalogger: Cruise coolant temp appears to hover aroung 75-78C. Once stopped at idle, it climbs to 94.8C over the course of 2 minutes, at which point the radiator fan turned on. Within ~10 seconds, the rad fan would turn off and the temperature would read 92C. This would repeat as the temp climbed back up over 94.8.

These temperatures are measured in the coolant neck (correct me if I'm wrong).

Inside the car, the stock temp gauge sits left of centre while cruising (so ~78C I guess), but quickly moves to the middle (presumably around 95C) when stopped.

This was taken 3 years ago while driving through the mountains in the middle of summer. I took it because it was the coolest I had seen the temp gauge dip and it was during a long downhill portion of the drive at idle. It normally sits slightly higher than this.

DSC00017small.jpg

I just read the BGB coolant system description. The rad fan is designed to activate at >93C coolant temp (measured at the radiator temperature swtich), and it is supposed to stop at <83C.

I'm thinking about splitting the difference and trying the ATS 76C thermostat next.