Leaking Oil

Felix

Well, I got a "huge" monkey off my back. I helped my g/f choose out her car, and it was a 90 AT, that's why I'm here. She spent $600 for a fuel pump, hoses, brackets, and labor and I felt awful about that. I just started noticing that the oil level was decreasing. Sure enough, looking under the engine, there was oil. First thing I thought was "shit, I had to get this car with it leaking oil like a mofo". Then my dad said, "I think it's coming from the oil cooler". All around the hoses/lines to/from the oil cooler was oil. I was thinking, "yes, it's not from the engine!". Well, I was wondering if this was a common problem. We didn't get a whole lot of time looking at it, but my dad was wondering how the "clamp" works on the hoses to/from the oil cooler. (It lookes like a mini radiator). I'm in need of advice/opinions/experience because in about 300 miles, I burned a full quart, (took a little over a quart to make the dipstick read full). Thanks.

Gary

That small radiator is not engine oil cooler.
It's the tranny oil cooler and you are leaking tranny fluid.

toayoztan

Just for reference, the oil cooler is located underneath the oil filter. If you've got the block, oil cooler adapter, oil cooler, and then the oil filter.

Bryan

mototebok

If you're burning that much oil, first check the turbo shaft play. My bet is that the oil seal is bad and it's comming out there.

If the shaft play is within spec, do a compression test.

If it IS the oil cooler that is actually leaking, then yes it is a common problem, it's typically the O-ring that seals it against the block.

alltracman78

Felix":udn8csdw said:
Well, I got a "huge" monkey off my back. I helped my g/f choose out her car, and it was a 90 AT

And you had an even bigger one jump on. :D
JK, but these cars can be a pain in the a$$, as it seems you're about to find out.....
Good luck with it man.

toayoztan

mototebok":3cavjawy said:
If it IS the oil cooler that is actually leaking, then yes it is a common problem, it's typically the O-ring that seals it against the block.

Yup, and there's 4 o rings in that area! Obviously, you're going to end up replacing them all if you decide it's the oil cooler. Goodluck! Make sure when you put the adapter and cooler back on, it's all within torque specs! You don't want to go pinching the o rings or overtightening the cooler/adapter and warping it.

Bryan

busdriver

Where exactly do those o-rings meet the block? My car has real slow oil leak too, would be nice if that was it.

Gary

This might help
oilcooler.jpg

Felix

Thanks for all the feedback. Is there an online manual specifically for 5th Gen AT's? I really don't want to shell out $100 plus for a BGB, we have been taking bits and pieces off the mr2 online BGB. We located that the oil leak is not from the seal between the engine and transmission. My dad just needs to free up some time so he can look at it w/o a rush. We haven't been able to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. The oil is being spread out everywhere from the circulating air (scoop, vents, radiator, fans). I am going to use degreaser and clean the engine, so we can have an easier time telling what's fresh. Plus the previous owner spent money on a great undercoat for the car...it's just that all the dirt has turned into muck, so it makes it a little more difficult.

Felix

alltracman78":ypt4hik3 said:
Felix":ypt4hik3 said:
Well, I got a "huge" monkey off my back. I helped my g/f choose out her car, and it was a 90 AT

And you had an even bigger one jump on. :D
JK, but these cars can be a pain in the a$$, as it seems you're about to find out.....
Good luck with it man.

Yea, there's always a problem around the corner. Just this june, I swapped out the 5S out of my 91 MR2 and replaced it with a 5S from a 95 Celi. Working on that thing was a bitch. There were so many odd angles and postures you had to go through, plus lifting the rear end of the car almost 4 feet off the ground and dropping the engine was nerve-racking.

BTW, where is the oil cooler located at? Couple posts above said that it's a common problem for the rings to go bad and leak...maybe that's what I am dealing with? All the rubber could have gotten rotten (along w/ the seals) because the car sat for almost 5 years, the owner hardly drove it.

Gary

The oil cooler is located under the oil filter.
It is sandwished between oil filter and engine block.
It's the part # 15710 in the pic.

Thanks to Griffin, here is the manual for ST185
ftp://alltrac:club@ftp.alltrac.net/uploads/Engine Manual/

BTW, I'm not quite sure I understand what you wrote:
The oil is being spread out everywhere from the circulating air (scoop, vents, radiator, fans).
Is the oil dripping? Or is it sprayed out from something?

Felix

Yea I just found that link. Thanks.

No, the oil is not being sprayed out. What we "figured" was that when the car is in motion, the oil that is leaking out is getting blown around...first there's the air moving past the radiator, then there's the fans coming on at stoplights and such, then there's the scoop, ramming air and forcing it all around...all these things we think is probably moving the drips of oil around. Is that a little better? :shrug:

Gary

I see.
Two of the most common oil leaks on our engine are the rear main seal and cam seal. You might wanna look into those.

mofoparrot

if rear main seal is leaking any ideas on time/pain in the ass it takes to replace it? any other things I should do while I would have the tranny out (i think I have to drop it to replace it?)

Thanks
John

P.S. I hope to god it's not my rear main leaking.. lol

toayoztan

you'll most likely going to drop your engine to get the tranny off. While the tranny is off, you might as well look into a clutch and flywheel. If you're willing to go far enough, replace your main and rod bearings.

Bryan