Muffler tone

busdriver

Just curious what everyone else is using for mufflers and how they sound, it's about time to get rid of the stock setup. It will be just downpipe and exhaust with no emissions stuff (thanks Montana), and I really don't want it to sound heinous, so any suggestions would be great.

Gary

Unless you get a custom exhaust, there isn't many options out there.

Catback: HKS Hyper, Blitz Nur Spec, Aussie

I've heard the full Aussie on an ST185, it sounds awesome. Performance & quality wise, you can't beat 3 inch Aussie system.

busdriver

I was planning on getting the Aussie DP and having the "performance" exhaust place here do the rest. I was going to buy a universal muffler and have them use that. The Aussie MP looks great, but what do you use for that last bit?

Gary

Have you show them the rear section (the one over the rear axle)? Not many exhaust shop willing to do 3 inch over the axle piece.

busdriver

No, I haven't yet. Never really thought about that. I really hope they'll do it, that seems to be the most expensive part to buy. Any opinions on 2.5 or how it would work with a 3" DP?

RIalltrac

if you switch over to 2.5 from 3 inches in the system your going to create a bottleneck. I would stick with 3 inch all the way back. I just installed the aussie system on my 185, with the twin tip muffler, very stock/sleeper looking. Not very stock sounding though, it can get loud, but it doesnt have that pinging fart can sound that the honda's have. Its got a bit more tone and growl. If I were you I would just save up for the good stuff. You'll appreciate it more down the road.

busdriver

With the Aussie catback system, did you have to drop the rear axle at all to install it or does it slide up and around nicely?

turbo4wd

busdriver":3uv6vv57 said:
With the Aussie catback system, did you have to drop the rear axle at all to install it or does it slide up and around nicely?

The most you should do with the rear section of the Aussie, (or any other catback for that matter) is jack up the rear of the car, remove the passenger rear tire, and then you can install the pieces and bolt em together pretty easily..

twoFOURS

Yo Busdriver, send me your email or call me. I am a fellow Bozemanite who has owned Alltracs for four years now. I will eventually have lots of 185 parts for sale and you could have first pick.

Cheers,

Carter S.
(406) 586-8080

dlek00

I have the full 3" Aussie exhaust with N1 style canister. I removed the silencer and in my opinion it still isn't loud at all.

RIalltrac

The catback consists of 4 pieces, the hump that goes over the rear axle is two pieces, easiest way to put it all together involves taking off the pass. tire. The midpipe is the one where you have to remove the front crossmember, I tried to snake it through, wasnt happening. I think the system gets more difficult to install as you get closer to the engine. Forget the downpipe, but that goes without saying :doh:

busdriver

I just wish it wasn't so farking expensive, I have a really cool cat rattle, sounds like a bunch of dry leaves in my exhaust, REALLY want it to go away, just don't have the money for the Aussie system yet. Thanks for all the info though. I suppose I'll live until I can save more money. :(

tim

The connecting pipe is actually what we call the midpipe. There are basically four parts in your exhaust system...downpipe, midpipe, resonator, and rear muffler. The resonator and rear muffler are connected by an over-the-axle piece that Aussie custom designed.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Aussie Exhaust - USA
www.aussie-speed.com

toayoztan

Sorry to bring up this old old post...but can we get the piece W/O a resonator? Or does Aussie not have anything like that available? Just curious is all.

Bryan

tim

Not sure what you mean...Do you want a catback exhaust with a straight pipe in place of the resonator? I don't think Aussie would have a problem doing it, but it's probably a whole lot cheaper to get your local exhaust shop to make that pipe for you.

Personally...I don't think this is the route you want to go though. A full 3inch exhaust is pretty loud. A 3inch exhaust with only one muffler is really, really loud. Not enjoyably loud.

My $.02

Tim

Mad1

Hi,
here is my exhaust, it is fully custom made 3" stainless steel from the turbo to the back with no muffler except for the rear silencer which is an apexi dunk, it cost me about $1150 and was well worth it, the sound is awesome and it still passes the emmision laws here :D.
I will be taking it off next week when I take the engine out and will take some better pics.
Also there is no problem with the 3" pipe over the rear axle. click for bigger pics

AWDios

I"ve got 3" from the DP back with the pipe going under the axle and an Apex'i N1 muffler. Love it, havn't heard anything I like as much, and I feel that it's not very loud, just deep.