Sunroof acting weird...

toayoztan

So when I stripped the car down, I took out the sunroof. I cleaned up all the rails, components, etc. Freshened it up and put it back in. I tried "centering" the sunroof motor gear according to the manual. Put it in. Installed the sunroof.

I hook up the wiring on my car as a temp set up to test it out.

It works...kind of. Whenever I hit the tilt or slide button, sometimes it operates smoothly, but more often it just cuts in and out, with the tilt doing majority of the work and the slide button hardly working.

At first I thought it was weak power to the motor, so I tried setting up my wiring better from the battery...but everything else on my car works perfectly good - rear windshield motor, lights, door windows even (which can suck a bunch of power). So I am pretty sure I am getting enough power to my sunroof motor.

Any of you have had the same issue, whether you took out your sunroof or not? It doesn't seem like the sunroof is getting stuck at all, that's not the issue. I'm just trying to decide if the controls are messed up, perhaps need cleaning (or swapping - i have a spare I'll swap in tomorrow, but wanted ideas from the forum too)...or if the motor is messed up, which I'll have to try and swap out from a salvage. When I tested the motor directly from the battery when it was out of the car, it worked fine...hopefully I didn't f*** it up by doing that.

Just curious if you guys had any ideas or experienced anything similar?

Bryan

toayoztan

RedCelicaTRD":qqk1oqmm said:
Did you put a thick coat of grease on it?

I believe so, the best I could. I wore a glove, globbed grease on the palm, and ran it up and down each cable. Mistake?

It operates smoothly when it wants to go. When it just suddenly stops randomly, like when I slide it back. I continue to hold the button down or repush the button, while pushing on the panel to go back, and nothing happens (as if the motor either just died or contacts on the switch or something is effed).

I can always pull the whole assembly again, but I would rather not. It's a pain as it is that I have to remove the head board/ceiling panel to get to the motor, if I need to replace it.

Bryan

phattyduck

Is the motor grounded to the chassis somehow? Not sure how the wiring is done, but make sure a ground point wasn't painted over or something...

-Charlie

toayoztan

phattyduck":cgafikjb said:
Is the motor grounded to the chassis somehow? Not sure how the wiring is done, but make sure a ground point wasn't painted over or something...

-Charlie

Nothing painted or touched in that area.

I swapped out the controls with a spare one I had, same thing. I took out the motor (I saw in the BGB you can remove the motor without completely removing the headliner).

I'm going by the junkyard tomorrow to pick up a spare one...2 or 3 of the celicas there have sunroofs, just hoping they are the 92-93 (because I think the plugs are different). I'll probably pick up the spare relay boxes and controls too. I know the sunroof assy itself isn't binding and is lubed well, so that's not the issue.

I think I probably messed up the motor when I tried calibrating it according to the BGB.

Bryan

Killtodie

I have a similar issue with mine. My tilt controls do not work, open fine, but wont close until I hit the tilt button and then close button only works for 1 second at a time, so I have to keep pressing it.

Switch is fine. Could not find fault.

toayoztan

Killtodie":3s66alx2 said:
I have a similar issue with mine. My tilt controls do not work, open fine, but wont close until I hit the tilt button and then close button only works for 1 second at a time, so I have to keep pressing it.

Switch is fine. Could not find fault.

I figured out it's the sunroof motor itself that needs to be calibrated/reset to the correct position, WITH the sunroof itself in the closed position (from tilt to close or from open to close).

I can take a few pictures to show you what I mean. The BGB is horrible at explaining what needs to be done.

Mine had the same problem...I'd push a button, and it would cut out and only work for a second or two at a time. Or I would hit the tilt close button, and it would close, but then continue to open and slide back and didn't stop at close like it should, etc. It was acting funky.

But it works now!

Bryan

Twincam.22

Major thread revival here but does anyone have the part of the manual that covers resetting of the sunroof controls/switches?

I;m having very similar problem.