mystery oil and coolant leak

Chuck.hudson

Well I get it all back together turns out the water pump was missing 3 bolts so I changed the gasket redid the timing fired it up and climbed underneath and didn't see a single drop of fluid come from anywhere so I was pretty excited about that. Now I have to figure out why the battery keeps dying when fully charged the car will only run for a few minutes. I had the alternator tested and it's good so I'm thinking I've got a junk battery I'll have it tested tomorrow but now I'll be having a celebration beer. You've got to celebrate the small victories. :wink:

88gt4DE

LOL ! we do that too. Celebration Beers .... :twisted: So have you tested on the car ? yes the alternator is ok but most of the time its the wiring right at the alternator that is baked and no good. Had this problem with my brothers 165 already ...

Chuck.hudson

Well to be honest I'm not really good with all the wiring stuff or testing it so that's why I was hoping it would be something simple like the battery. I'm getting outta bed now to go test it then I'll go from there

Chuck.hudson

Ok so I fixed the charging problem half ass bled the brakes by myself and started it up got it to idle and even took it down the road it actually felt pretty damn strong at quarter throttle which put a smile on my face but it's burning the shit out of oil like I pulled the o2 sensor and white smoke is just bellowing out and there was a huge cloud in the neighborhood from where I took it. Now the motor is freshly built and I haven't broken it in and I rebuilt the turbo myself (which was my first time) so do you guys think I screwed up the turbo rebuild or is it getting serious blow by cause the piston rings haven't been seated yet?

88gt4DE

Could be either or really ... see if it gets better or worse. I'd lean more towards the turbo first but compession and leakdown tests on cylinders will tell the tale for sure ...

Chuck.hudson

Well I've done a compression test and it was all good so I'm thinking it's the turbo too. I might be buying a turbo from a member here so if that goes through then I'll throw it on and see if that fixes it.

Chuck.hudson

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! The turbo fixed my oil issues and I was actually able to take it down the road. It ran very well and pulled hard for half throttle. Now it's time to fix the brakes I've bled them twice and they still don't work right plus my headlights don't work. I guess it's time to start a project thread. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to steer me in the right direction.

Brad_91

Just wanted to post/ subscribe to bookmark this thread. I had my timing belt done last year before putting it away and during a spring inspection oil and coolant was found to be leaking from the timing cover :(. I had it done at a shop so I'm hopeful they will fix the problem for me, but it sounds very similar to your issues. Now I'm nervous that the shop doesn't know which seals to replace etc.. any tips for me? I will re read this thread a couple of times, but I want to go into this shop with as much knowledge as I can! I might even gather a list of seals that should be replaced around the timing gears and make sure they do them all. It is waaay too expensive to be paying someone for this more than once :shoots:

Chuck.hudson

How much oil and coolant is leaking? My oil was coming from the cam seals cause they were missing and it was quite a bit of oil definitely not something you would drive around without noticing right away. My coolant was leaking due to 3 missing bolts for the water pump. So obviously I just got the bolts and replaced the gasket for good measure. I would imagine if your only dripping a little bit of both its probably coming from both of the pumps but also check your oil pan I've got a very small leak coming from there but that's an easy fix. You most likely won't be able to tell where the fluids are exactly coming from cause of how cluttered it is by the timing belt but once you get that stuff out of the way you'll find it pretty easily. Do you have to the tools to do it yourself it's not very hard just aggravating cause of the lack of space.

Chuck.hudson

And there are two cam seals an oil pump seal and a water pump seal and I would imagine some kind of seal for the crank. I hope this helps

Brad_91

Mine is a very small leak. The shop told me it could be a specific seal but they obviously pulled the comment out of their ass. Can't tell until you get in there. It's a very small leak though, around 200 ml of oil leaked over the winter. (it was parked). The inspector said there could be some coolant too, but my reservoir was still "full".

Chuck.hudson

So are you saying it was just leaking all winter without running? And are you sure it was coming from the timing assembly? If the car was sitting there leaking while in hibernation I wouldn't think that it would be coming from the timing assembly cause I would think that the majority of oil would be in the pan. Plus there wouldn't be any pressure to push oil out so it would be a gravity type leak. Mine wasn't leaking at all until I would start it and the more it warmed up the more it started leaking. Do you have any pics?

Brad_91

Well I had started it multiple times over winter, but it ran for maybe 2 hours over the 6ish months.. I'm sure I'll be losing more now and will continue to check my fluid levels all around..

Chuck.hudson

Yea man I wish I could tell you it was something simple but it sounds like one of those things where you'll just have to tear it apart a little to pinpoint your leaks.

Brad_91

Sounds like it! I'm just hoping there is some kind of warranty in place on the work the shop did, or I'll be burning holes in my pocket letting them fix it! I need a garage full of tools.... one day :twisted:

Chuck.hudson

Yea hopefully they will stand behind there work and I've got a garage full of tools but never seem to have all the ones I need I think it's a lifelong quest to fill a garage.