Help with cam seals

Flyin' Bryan

To anybody who has changed their cam seals on the car, I have one question. How in the hell did you drive the new seal in? On the intake side there is like 3in to work as you can see.

trac1016.jpg

The BGB gets a little vague on this. Do I have to take off the bearing cap :eek: Any help will be appreciated :)

Stubble

This is where the Chilton manual says something like "Now that the engine is out...replacing the cam seal is easy" :D

I did mine with the engine out, so I can't speak from experience. But, if I was confronted with this, I would not remove the bearing cap. Is there a way that you can use a rigid ring to push against the seal, and use a C-clamp to push on this ring? The other side of the c-clamp would need to grab onto the camshaft or a bearing cap. THen, simply tightening the clamp will drive the seal in. The trick is finding a rigid ring that is the correct diameter. You will also need a cross bar between the ring and the clamp.

Of course, someone with experience can probably answer this question better...

alltracman78

Pulling off the cap isn't a big deal......

If the old seal is already out, drive the new one in with a deep well socket, CAREFULLY, so it goes in even.

Course, if the engine is still in the car, not sure if you can find a socket that'll fit......

superalltrac

Just did mine today, pretty easy. All I did was cut a short piece 1 1/2 abs plumbing pipe and used a hammer to pry on shock tower wall and the piece of pipe. I moved the contact point around and slowly pressed the seal in place. Hope this helps.