OEM exhaust manifold studs vs. Autozone, Napa, etc.

r-town

Guys, the hose from hell burst, and now I'm in the process on replacing it. I removed the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe as one unit. The exhaust manifold studs came off with the nut, so I will need of new ones. My question is, does Toyota dealer carry this type of studs (in stock), or will it be a special order? Can I just use studs from local auto parts store? How the quality be?

Thanks!

RafaCalde

I don't see why not. I used grade 8 bolts for the bottom studs when I replaced my HFH and no problems here.

88gt4DE

Still avail OEM , its kinda generic part that's used on a lot of cars so those are safe to be avail for a long time ... I just had to replace a few with the head replacement last year ...

phattyduck

Yeah, a good penetrating oil soak and the double nut trick on the other side of the stud should give you enough torque to get the nut off. Of course, getting all new parts and reassembling with anti-sieze will be a better long term plan. :)

-Charlie

r-town

Thanks for all the replies! :D

All the studs are rusted out, soaked them really well with liquid wrench (ran out of PB Blaster) before removing them. Some are missing the tip. I would like to install new ones while I'm doing this HFH job. By the way this HFH is being a PITA. :shoots:

r-town

I thought I was done removing the manifold, turbo and downpipe as one piece, know I see I missed the turbo bracket! How the heck did you guys remove this? I see one bolt under the turbo and two at the block, really hard to access! :bangshead:

celigts

Yea they really really sucked! I used a knuckle on a long extension. It worked and did not reinstall it haha.

r-town

I couldn't access the second bolt (bottom) for the turbo stay, so I successfully loosen the bolts for the turbo manifold. I just need the last one, the one that is blocked by the oil cooler. This is going to give me access to the turbo stay bolts. Hopefully I can finish by tomorrow. :D As of now, everything is back on track.

celigts

Nice! Yea the one dp bolt is a bitch but I got use to removing it tho after 3 dp's lol. A short socket, knuckle thing socket and works. Been awhile now

r-town

phattyduck":2r0m92y1 said:
r-town":2r0m92y1 said:
By the way this HFH is being a PITA. :shoots:
It got that name for a reason. :rofl:

-Charlie

At first it wasn't that bad, then I realize why it was called hose from hell... You have to remove one thing to remove another and another... they you realize you have the whole car apart haha

phattyduck

underscore":2e43kwpw said:
It's easiest if you start at the rear bumper and just keep removing parts until you hit the HFH :lol:
I've only ever done it with the engine out of the car, on a stand while everything else was off the motor... :shrug:

-Charlie

underscore

I did mine when I had the turbo already out so it wasn't too bad, but it was still a pain until I realized you could loosen that lower tube.

88gt4DE

Did mine both times while motor was out. first time was needed and second was just cause I was there ...