Plug end part numbers?

CMS-GT4

I know some manufactures sell plug ends with some wire for harness repair. Do we have a source for this or part numbers for our cars? I need to get a new water temp plug, so I am looking at my options.

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the replies. I also called toyota and they said no, but Napa autoparts says bring it down and they may have a universal that fit. The one on those sites are listed for the supra and the plug looks a little different. I might have to shoot them an email just to verify compatibility if I have to use one of those online sources.

Toyota_Todd

Do you have the original connector housing? If so, does it have a very small 5 digit number on it? If it does, try 90980-XXXXX, with your 5 digits. Toyota does a lot of their connector housing this way.

88gt4DE

Dealers want to sell the whole harness but toyota does sell the connectors. The parts dept just wont normally spend the time searching for the part number. However , If you get the part number you can normally get the connector you want if its still avail at the parts depot.

ALLensTRAC

Can you post a couple close up pics of the connector? How many pins it has? Orientation pics would be great. Some of the ewd's have connector part number lists with diagrams showing the connectors. We may be able to match it up with something from another car. We've done this for coil connectors on old ES300's as the IS300 EWD has numbers and they're the same. I have access to all Lexus and Toyota ewd's and the Lexus ones are all books so I can post pics to help.

CMS-GT4

No pn on the connector. Its a single pin. Goes to a water temp sensor. It looks like I can open the connector and remove the metal connector to replace it, but I have not gotten it loose yet.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 1,895

athousandleaves

You need to look for AMP/TYCO replacement harness connectors.

That one you're holding could easily be replaced with any old spade connector though. I did it for a few sensors on my engine when the old harness snapped off without enough room to crimp a patch in.

If you REALLY want a new plug like that and you cant find the OEM part number then you'd probably be best to just go looking in China: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Sea ... connectors

ALLensTRAC

CMS-GT4":286qeztp said:
No pn on the connector. Its a single pin. Goes to a water temp sensor. It looks like I can open the connector and remove the metal connector to replace it, but I have not gotten it loose yet.

I will look on Monday at some diagrams for coolant temp connectors and see if they match for anything. It looks like it could be the same as the 185 sensor. Can you take a pic of the back side as well so I can see the lock portion as well as the area near your thumbnail in that pic?

On another note I remember that connector being a pain on my car when I removed it and was thinking we could upgrade to a different type sensor with a better connector design. All we'd have to do is measure the resistance range in a pan of water on a stove. All they are is a thermally variable resistor so it's just the range we would need.

athousandleaves

You are supposed to measure the resistance of thermocouples in an ice bath (0°C) for calibration. Boiling water is different with respect to altitude.

ALLensTRAC

Yes I understand that but to get the range you would need to heat the water. I didn't say anything about boiling it. Iirc the repair manual lists the temp range of the water used for testing the sensor. I can't remember the exact numbers though currently.

Also I believe they use a NTC Thermistor not a thermocouple. I will check the repair manual tomorrow and post my findings.

alltracman78

Josh, I thought you had a 205 engine? That's off an older engine.
Regardless, that should be the connector for the coolant temp gauge sender.
Newer ones [even the 205] have an updated plug [you'll need the sender, connector and wiring pin].
Any Toyota should do, Tundra, Camry, ect. Go to the junkyard, pull the sender and clip the wire/connector.
Or you can order it all new.
I should have the P number for the Tundra one in the manual, I'll try to get back to this in a little bit.

alltracman78

Well, I can do one better.
The P# you're looking for should be 90980-10359. Turns out the 5VZ uses the same plug.

But, in case you want the updated connector; that p# is 90980-11428. You'll need the sender too.

I don't have P3 for either of the wire ends for those, but if you bring that P# to a parts guy they should be able to dig up the pigtail P#.

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the info. I do have a 205 engine, but I use the 185 harness. You actually got me thinking that I might still have the plug on my 205 harness. I am going to check it in the morning.