Noise from the trans/diff

Killtodie

My front diff has been making some noise recently. ST165, 3rd day now. It just got really cold, low single digits. And from the first day when it was -2 in the morning my diff, and/or trans started making whining noise, kinda like a bad bearing.
I only drive 4 miles to and from work, about 15 minutes. I dont know if the trans had enough time to reach operating temp.

I have isolated this noise to either the differential, or the trans output shaft. It occurs with the engine off, and the clutch depressed.
The rear wheels are still getting power, I can spin them, and I can see the drive shaft spin under load, so I dont think anything is broken. (No handbrake, so I can see the shaft out of the mount hole)

Could it be a bad bearing on the output shaft? That's always spinning right?
What if I put the car in FWD mode, does that physically uncouple the diff?
What can I do to narrow down the noise?

FC Zach

I have the same thing going on with my car. Only happens when the temperature is ~30° and below. I have also isolated the sound as well, I thought a bearing. . Really not sure either.

___Scott___

Both of my ST165s have whined when cold. It goes away as the trans warms up.

I did notice that after I ¨topped off¨ the trans fluid level with the remains of a bottle of Mobil1 75W-90 synthetic gear lube that I run in my rear diff, the cold weather whining has nearly gone away. The shifting got a little smoother too, much to my surprise. I expected the opposite.

FC Zach

I should have noted what oil I'm using and that I also have a synthetic oil. After my clutch change recently, I filled the transmission with AmsOil Severe Gear 75w-90. It still whined yesterday morning leaving work.

Tonight, before leaving for work I warmed the car before the drive since it is only 9°F here and there was no whine at all during my drive.

Weird stuff, only happens when the tranny is cold.

Killtodie

I figure it would happen when its cold. Today is even colder, -7F.
I have been planning on topping it off since I did my clutch two years ago, so that's on the to do list.

anyone know the technical reason why it whines?

Update:
Drove to work, it was slightly louder than before. Half way to work it seemed to have stopped almost entirely. Now I'm worried that something blew.
I'll see if I still have AWD capabilities on the drive back.

Update:
verified that diff still works, still noisy, but not as much

Another Update:
I dont know if its coincidence, but the noise went away.
Two things happened: It got warm, mid teens, 20's, and I finally bought new winter tires. The pair I had before had uneven wear due to bad alignment, so I was straining my drive line, but hopefully no damage was done.
We'll see how it sounds when it gets cold again.

Final update:
This week there was a day when it was really cold in the morning, low single digits, and high teens in the end. The diff made noise on my way to work, and was quiet on the way back when it was warmer, so it appears to be temp related.

Would anyone know the technical reason for this?

___Scott___

I just drive slow until the noise eases up. When it's really cold, I sometimes take a slow lap around the parking lot before I hit the streets.

I've driven an ST165 as my daily driver since 1996, and through Colorado winters, and never noticed any damage.

warracer

___Scott___":h13ntetk said:
I just drive slow until the noise eases up. When it's really cold, I sometimes take a slow lap around the parking lot before I hit the streets.

I've driven an ST165 as my daily driver since 1996, and through Colorado winters, and never noticed any damage.

^ This

My 185 has been doing it since I owned it, its been 3 winter now at around -30 and it'll whine in the front for 5-10min max, I just don't drive the car hard when its cold (and you shouldn't). Never experienced a break down due to that :shrug:

Killtodie

I drive 15 to work in city traffic, so the fastest I go is 30. Noise goes away just as I'm nearing my destination.

Would be nice to know what's causing it exactly.

Killtodie

Rallly":167cc71u said:
Any updates on what we can do to solve this?

From what I heard if you use the correct oil, and its topped off, this is a normal thing and is a non issue.
I remember googling this more, and talking to other all trac guys at meets. some have it, some dont.

FC Zach

Rallly":29uzsdub said:
Let it warm up prior to driving.

Killtodie":29uzsdub said:
From what I heard if you use the correct oil, and its topped off, this is a normal thing and is a non issue.
I remember googling this more, and talking to other all trac guys at meets. some have it, some dont.
That's basically what I've gathered.

Rallly

I don't see how such a loud whine is normal.. What are the alltrac owners with out noise putting in their diff and trannies?

Killtodie

FC Zach":14njer63 said:
Rallly":14njer63 said:
Let it warm up prior to driving.

You cant warm up a manual trans before driving. Driving is what warms it up, and takes about 10 minutes.

Killtodie":14njer63 said:
That's basically what I've gathered.[/quote]

I would love to get an actual explanation on the cause of this. My friend had an ST162 and had no noise, so I assume its the transfer case/diff

FC Zach

Killtodie":221o2v08 said:
You cant warm up a manual trans before driving. Driving is what warms it up, and takes about 10 minutes.

Correct but heat does transfer from an engine through an aluminum transmission and as I've said in a previous comment. . doing so prevented the noise in 9 degree weather, for me at least. Results may vary :)

Killtodie

FC Zach":2c3qtbmt said:
Killtodie":2c3qtbmt said:

Correct but heat does transfer from an engine through an aluminum transmission and as I've said in a previous comment. . doing so prevented the noise in 9 degree weather, for me at least. Results may vary :)

Its not the heat transfer, its the fluid coupling that occurs between your input and output shaft that warms things up.
The engine blocks is luke warm to the touch at best at idle.

I had my car idle for over 10 minutes in negative/single digits, still made noise until 10 minutes of driving. But that's me.