ST 185 steering rack bushes and heater matrix help

kali_gt

Hi, I'm new on here and trying to resurrect my ST 185. For years the car was doing fine until all of a sudden was hit with 2 major issues. Firstly I'm not not sure if I'm meant to start 2 threads or just incorporate it into one as I've done here.

But here they are:

Firstly as I was driving my passenger side footwear flooded with water and lost my heating. After fiddling around I found it to be the heater matrix. A friend with a lot more car skills than me is helping and we really are struggling to remove it to replace. It's nearly cone to a point where the whole dash us coming out. Are there any guides or links anyone can share that might make thus job a bit easier? . Does anyone know where I can get the bushes as I've only found one place and they want £90.

Secondly after all this as I'm driving I start to get a creaking sound when I'm steering stationary. Again after a lot of messing around we found a cracking where the steering rack goes through the chassis. After some research I found that it's meant to be a common problem. My bushes are a bit worn there and my friend believes this is one of the reasons it may have cracked. Will changing the steering rack bushes fix the noise? . We also understand we need to weld the cracks, are there any ideas, links or pics that could help please. I've seen one post on here about pas rack bushes but links to the owners club which I'm not a member of. Please if anyone has any help it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

P.s. The car is a jap import in the UK.