1988 All trac turbo smoking issue

Ryadin

Hello! Been a lurker for a while and recently bought my first all trac. 126k miles. Previous owner got it as a barn find and tried to bring her back to life. Ended up not having the time needed to fully fix her, which is where I came in. The car runs fine, but drinks oil and smokes like a chimey. Did some poking around and it seems like the turbo is the cause. It only smokes out the tail pipe. A mechanic friend took a brief look and concluded the same thing. Turbo issue leaking oil into the exhaust manifold. We took off the intake and no oil in the intake turbine, but the turbine is wobbly so I'm going to need a new Turbo.

I have yet to do a more intrusive delve into the engine and shall update more when I do. I am curious as to where I should look for a new turbo or if I should send this one off to be rebuilt? The car runs fine other then drinking about a quart of oil a week and smoking out the tail pipe. Will post pictures when I can as well! Thank you guys for any help.

Sifu

Welcome! You could get it rebuild or purchase a rebuilt one from a reputable vendor. The stock turbos come up for sale often and they aren't too expensive. Good luck and post pics.

Killtodie

I had the same issue with my 88, was being stupid/cheap bought shitty rebuilt kits, used turbos, all end up blowing.

CT26 are not that well made.

I think you're best bet is to get a chinese CHRA on ebay. They are around $160, and come with a 1 year warranty.

Or spend a lot more and have it rebuilt at a proper machine shop.