steering rack leaking, boots torn

Smaay

what are my options? is it rebuildable? just replace? and the worse part, engine needs to come out to change.

zaluss

Smaay":2s2vrvct said:
what are my options? is it rebuildable? just replace? and the worse part, engine needs to come out to change.

Easier just to buy a re-manufactured rack. You don't have to pull the engine to replace but it certainly makes it a lot easier. Good opportunity to do some refresh on stuff too. Otherwise you have to start pulling crossmembers off, tipping the engine over slightly while pulling it slightly, and slide the rack out.

Smaay

so drop the k frame, then the center cross beam. let the engine rock and you can slide the steering rack out?

anyone recommend the best one to get... also is the regular 5th gen celica the same rack?

yyonline

For 90-93 the GT, GT-S, and All-trac steering racks are the same.

You can buy a remanufactured rack through the Toyota dealer. I've heard they're decent. Toyota gets is remanufactured steering racks from Maval. You can buy the Maval rack for less than the dealer reman. It's available from Worldpac. Search for W0133-1745725 and you'll find some online resellers. I put a Maval rack in my friend's Sienna, and it's held up well for the last 2 years.