st184 tranny Blown

I ran over a dead deer on the highway last night in my 91 GT and knocked a pinhole in the transmission. I do longer have 5th or reverse gear. Tried flushing and refilling the tranny but to no avail. My local wreckers has a 92 Camry with a 5sfe and a manual tranny. Will the camrys transmission work? The wreckers says no but i was pretty sure that all S series engines used the same transmissions regardless of what vehicle they were in. Also my 91 has a 98 RAV4 3sfe in it. But seeing as it has a 5sfe tranny hooked to it now there should be no problem. Anyone know for sure? I dont wanna drop 150 bucks on it and it not actually work.

fussellbug

The 92 Camry runs the S51 transmission. The bellhousing, clutch and mounts and shifter should all be the same as the S53 in your Celica. The only difference you may notice is the gear ratios being slightly different which may change the speeds (MPH) at which you change gears.

i imagine the gears are slightly longer? which is fine as my 184 drives 120 miles a day when i work so im down for all the mpg i can get lol

fussellbug

I know for certain that 5th gear is taller and will give you lower engine RPM at highway speeds, not sure about the rest.

Been running it for about 2 months now with the Camry 5 speed. The 5th gear is almost like an overdrive, I love it. 95mph at 3100rpm. I have no doubt that if there was no speed limiter the car would easily do 140-150mph. The gas mileage is even better. Who would a though hitting a deer would save me so much money. I'm getting close to 40mpg now and I can do multiple trips to and from work on a tank now instead of 3 trips. Definitely a huge drive ability mod!