Light Retractor Relay

pdqubet

I thought I had everything ready for inspection of my '91 All-Trac, until I went to turn on the headlights. This is a rebuild, so last time I checked the lights was a month or so ago. The lights come on, both beams, but don't pop up. The headlight relay and rtr fuse checked out. The motors on both check good. My shop manual shows the Light Retractor relay floating around above the steering column and behind my instrument cluster. I don't know if this is the cause, but am thinking it could be. I have a donor '90 GTS which is gutted and I looked, but never found the s.o.b. I'd appreciate any info/advice on where, exactly this relay might be and the best procedure getting there.

Thanks
Peter
NC
'91 All-Trac Red
'91 All-Trac Black
'93 Celica GT Convt

Attachments

• Light Retractor Relay.jpg
    Light Retractor Relay.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 1,125

pdqubet

Because I've never had the need to change out a Light Retractor Relay, my inability to locate the relay on my donor GTS, was a f*cking nightmare. Ready for this, my Level 9 meltdown was a result of the relay being removed before I bought the car. Ha! I found this out by going to my other '91 AT, pulling trim panel (under steering wheel), removing the metal support (which holds speaker) and removing the air vent duct. Viola, starring me in the face was the relay. So problem fixed, but at a cost, my blood pressure. :) Hope this helps others in need of this relay.
Peter
NC
'91 AT Red
'91 AT Black
'93 GT Convt
'90 GTS Donor which had no Light Retractor Relay

Attachments

• Light Retractor Relay web.jpg
    Light Retractor Relay web.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Light Retractor Relay size web.jpg
    Light Retractor Relay size web.jpg