1990 All-Trac - Coolant Leak Help

Hi. My son just picked up a 1990 All-Trac from Arizona. Car is in amazing shape - all original, all the options from that year. Not perfect, but that will be my hobby to get it close for him.

One of the items I saw when I inspected it was low coolant level. I had to add about 2 quarts between the radiator & overflow bottle. Without running the engine, I noticed a very small coolant leak the next day, with a trail ending at the oil pan lip (where the gasket is). I followed that as far as I could, and know it is dripping down from a source between the A/C compressor at the bottom and the alternator at the top. I could see & feel the coolant inlet housing/thermostat housing, and the radiator hose, and that all was dry.

To leak with no pressure causing by a running engine getting the coolant warm is concerning to me.

I've heard there are certain coolant hoses on the 3S-GTE that are called "Hose from Hell" and "Hose from Hell on Earth". The HFHOE is in the vicinity of where I think the source could be (a hose that runs from hear the water pump to a connection on the oil cooler).

Does this hose have a frequency of failure that would want me to consider taking things apart to see it better? How does one inspect this hose for leaks w/o taking a lot of stuff off to see that hose or area around it better?

Any help here would be welcome.

yyonline

It's called the "hose from hell" not because it fails frequently, but due to the difficulty of replacing it without removing the engine from the car.

Here's a nifty photo I found on another site that gives a good idea of the cooling system piping and hoses around that area. It's from a MR2, but the All-trac is very very similar. (source: http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engin ... GTE-02.htm)

Coolant_Pipes_Finished.jpg

Link to image as the forum has issues displaying the full thing: http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engin ... nished.jpg

The "hose from hell" is labeled, the "hose from hell on earth" is coolant bypass hose No. 5.

In addition to hoses, there are gaskets and o-rings between many of the parts that may leak. Water pump shaft seal is a common leak point. Here's the parts diagram for the o-rings and gaskets:

http://utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?ccId=30 ... e=&ppName=

"Hose from hell" is 16283. "Hose from hell on earth" is 16282.

I'm thinking it is the No. 5 Coolant By-Pass Hose. I know I can't get my hand down there to feel for coolant on the hose. I will need to use a small automotive mirror, I guess. I ordered 2 of those No. 5 hoses, and the No. 6 Coolant By-Pass Hose as well. While I'm inspecting this winter, I might as well replace these and the same No. 5 By-Pass hose on the firewall side all together to ensure no coolant leaks in the immediate future (at least from these hoses).

First, though, is a 100% all fluids flush/replace process. I don't know how long any of these fluids were in this car, but it was rarely used in the last 10-15 years, and I'm betting that, except for engine oil & filter changes, the other fluids are pretty old. This should keep me a bit busy during the winter months.