Brake caliper removal question

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Brake caliper removal question

Postby Rallly » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Okay, probably a dumb question, I need to remove my rear calipers but don't want to empty the master cylinder, is it just a matter of keeping the brake line upright?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Rallly
Club Member

Re: Brake caliper removal question

Postby mkernz22 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 pm

Clamp visegrips on the soft part of the line, it'll keep the fluid from leaking out.
mkernz22
Club Member

1995 Toyota Celica

Postby Rallly » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:42 pm

mkernz22 wrote:Clamp visegrips on the soft part of the line, it'll keep the fluid from leaking out.

They are Stainless steel:(
Rallly
Club Member

Postby zaluss » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Rallly wrote:
mkernz22 wrote:Clamp visegrips on the soft part of the line, it'll keep the fluid from leaking out.

I had the same issue. If you tie the stainless brakeline upright, it shouldn't leak too much. I wouldn't leave it overnight though.
zaluss
Club Member

Postby Rallly » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm rebuilding rear calipers so it would be over a few nights. Do you think I would be fine if I lifted the rear only really high in the air?

zaluss wrote:
Rallly wrote:

I had the same issue. If you tie the stainless brakeline upright, it shouldn't leak too much. I wouldn't leave it overnight though.
Rallly
Club Member

Postby mkernz22 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Only other thing I can think of would be to get a bolt that fits through the hole and get a nut on the other side, two regular washers and two crush washers on the inside, and tighten it down. Theoretically should create the same effect as if it was bolted down to the caliper.
mkernz22
Club Member

1995 Toyota Celica

Postby yyonline » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:56 pm

mkernz22 wrote:Only other thing I can think of would be to get a bolt that fits through the hole and get a nut on the other side, two regular washers and two crush washers on the inside, and tighten it down. Theoretically should create the same effect as if it was bolted down to the caliper.

I've done that before, but only for a few hours. It will slow the leak down a lot, but a small amount will still leak through the threads of the nut. If you could find a bolt and an enclosed cap nut with copper crush washers, that would seal it up completely. Either way, just top off the brake fluid reservoir and leave the cap on. I don't think the small amount of fluid leaking past the nut will be enough to empty the reservoir out.
1992 Toyota Celica all-trac (the dream car)
1993 Toyota Celica ST (the efficient daily driver)
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (the fun daily driver)
yyonline
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Return to General Maintenance and Repair