ST165 sway bar link question

UtahSleeper

So, I am trying to fix a clunking sway bar link and no one has the specific part listed for the 165. I am hoping to fix it today so trying to find another alternative.

Are there any other toyotas that use a sway bar link that will work? I was looking up a 94 Celica and it appeared to have a similar design. Just trying to get input in hopes of registering the car today and emissions/safety this weekend.

Thanks.

SL242 is what autozone lists for the 165.
SL243 is what they list for the 94+ celica.

underscore

According to the OEM part numbers the 165 front is the same as the 185, rear is the same as a bunch of stuff (including the 6th gen you listed). Worst case I'd bring the old one down and see if the dimensions are roughly the same.

UtahSleeper

underscore":eaoc611y said:
According to the OEM part numbers the 165 front is the same as the 185, rear is the same as a bunch of stuff (including the 6th gen you listed). Worst case I'd bring the old one down and see if the dimensions are roughly the same.

For the rears, yea they all seem the same. For the fronts its a little different. The 94+ shows a different part number then 88-93. I am just not sure what the difference is. I may just buy and try, but wanted to know if there would really be an harm if they are really similar in design, to just use it.

klue

st165 and 85 are the same. The poly ones, and whiteline ones I've used over OEM.

I can also get my hands on ball end joint type if your interested

UtahSleeper

klue":w0d46abn said:
st165 and 85 are the same. The poly ones, and whiteline ones I've used over OEM.

I can also get my hands on ball end joint type if your interested

I plan on using your endlinks later when I replace a bulk of my suspension, but this is just a now type thing lol.

The 165 and 185 can't be found locally(seems they also list the same for 162 and 18x), but I can find them for the 202 and the pics look the same or close. I am just hoping to maybe find something decent that wont cause harm. If the ones for the 202 are close enough, they should be fine, right?

zaluss

I got my endlinks from Klue (as well as the bushings)

nKTXKsfh.jpg

yyonline

If my memory is correct, the all-trac ones are a little shorter than the FWD Celica ones. I have both a 92 All-trac and a 93 ST. Front suspensions are very similar between the two, but I recall the sway bar links being shorter on the all-trac.

yyonline

The autozone links show photos of a Sankei 555 link. One of the better aftermarket manufacturers. I've used Sankei 555 on many cars without issues. Of course AutoZone gets their stuff from multiple suppliers, so no guarantee you'd get the exact one pictured.

klue

As long as it fits you should be ok providing it does not limit or increase the range of travel of the sway bar. IE when loaded it goes up to much is probably the more likely scenerio

You also don't have to run them at all, its just like softening up the suspension.