Engine removal tips

___Scott___

I have taken the engine out the top and now have taken it out the bottom and I have to say that you should not waste your time pulling it out the top. It is so much easier to just pull it out the bottom. If you don't already have something to roll the engine around on, Harbor Freight moving dollies work well:
image_18681.jpg

P1030009small.jpg

Another tip: You can see some light blue things hanging off the engine in the pic above. Those are used nitrile gloves that I have stretched the fingers over stuff that would otherwise leak. The engine removal process is a lot more pleasant when you don't have to wade around in a puddle of coolant or waste time wiping it up.

mx6er2587

my favorite trick for out the bottom is to leave the engine mounts bolted to the cross members and just install casters onto the cross members themselves. Boom. Instant engine dolly.

___Scott___

That's a good idea too, one that I considered, but I already had the dollies and didn't have any casters that would conveniently bolt to the cross members.

mx6er2587":7hpxaft5 said:
my favorite trick for out the bottom is to leave the engine mounts bolted to the cross members and just install casters onto the cross members themselves. Boom. Instant engine dolly.
Can you elaborate a little more on this? Where might we find said casters?

FC Zach

All-tracDreams":1vfpwegi said:
Can you elaborate a little more on this? Where might we find said casters?

file.php

When I needed to roll my transmission around for cleaning and didn't have another dolley, I stopped by Lowes and picked up some cheap castors just strong enough to hold the weight and installed them in the crossmember holes. With some larger castors, I imagine it could hold the weight of the engine too.

alltracman78

With the engine/trans together you want castors that can support at LEAST 250 lbs EACH.
You might get away with less if you're quick and have a smooth floor.