Surging Idle / Throttle is Unresponsive - Video Inside

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Surging Idle / Throttle is Unresponsive - Video Inside

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:29 pm

See here for a video: https://youtu.be/aZyKlleuRN4

I bought it this way, so I have no prior history to this. When you give it gas, it just makes a weird sound and has no effect whatsoever on the constant surging idle. Probably a vacuum leak? Where to start looking? Also, you can see the power steering hose disconnected in the video. I don't suppose that would cause any issues...?

UPDATE: Ok, so I realized this is a JDM motor. The ECU part# is 89661-2B280. A lot of the wiring looks hacked. There are signs of previous mods, possibly turbo timer, etc. My best guess right now is that he got halfway through a JDM swap and gave up. There's a missing bracket where the alternator mounts; I seem to remember something about the alternator being different, so...what? I need to fabricate a mount/bracket?

Here's a pic of the area in question:

QT98ozx.jpg

I also don't see that blue VSV on the water outlet, so I'm fairly certain it's JDM. I guess I should try to find info on how to do a swap and just see if I can figure out where he left off... I'm sure there's a write-up here, so I'll do a search. Any other resources would be appreciated as well.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

Aaron
Club Member

Re: Surging Idle / Throttle is Unresponsive - Video Inside

Postby yyonline » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 am

I don't think the alternator is any different on JDM cars. The alternator bracket is completely there, but you're missing the RH engine mount stay. That goes between the stud on the RH engine mount and the bolt on the top of the alternator bracket. I wouldn't say that piece is hugely important, but it's probably good to have for long term stability. You're also missing the top of the A/C line bracket, and the AC liquid line is pretty bent up.

I see the EGR vacuum modulator...JDM engines didn't have EGR. But that is indeed a JDM ECU part number. Seems like you have a hack job on your hands...
1992 Toyota Celica all-trac (the dream car)
1993 Toyota Celica ST (the efficient daily driver)
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (the fun daily driver)
yyonline
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Ok, yeah. I looked up the stay and that's no big deal, but in terms of the EGR modulator...it's kind of just for show as you can see:

egr1.jpg

And here's a view from the top. There's a VSV with nothing connected to the port and the two lines on top of the manifold are just looped together. It looks like maybe a USDM intake manifold on a JDM motor?

egr2.jpg

How can I best figure out how these vacuum lines should be routed? I feel like I need to really understand the system better so that I can make educated decisions. Although, I wouldn't say no to someone saying "Put this hose here and this hose here," for now, either.

Aaron
Club Member

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Update..

I had code 41 (TPS) so I tested it and it was way out of spec. Also, the flapper door in the throttle body would not close all the way and the spring for the accelerator cable was pretty loose. I remembered the car came with a spare intake manifold and throttle body, so I swapped it out. It looks like it was the original USDM one. Now it runs like shit, but at least the throttle responds and I can actually move the car. Still need tires and power steering hooked up, so I'll tackle that next weekend and see if I can keep it running since it kinda just dies unless I give it some gas.

Aaron
Club Member

Return to General Maintenance and Repair