While I had my car apart, I checked to see if the TVIS actuator was working. To no great surprise I found that I could easily suck air through the diaphragm. A little googling for a fix turned up a post on mr2oc.com (I think) where someone cut the actuator open and smeared silicone over the diaphragm then used sheet metal screws to put it back together.
That seemed like a good idea but I didn't like the screws so I used a cut-off wheel on my die grinder to cut tabs while I was cutting it open. The metal is very thin and cuts easily so be careful to not cut too deep.
Then I smeared Ultra Black silicone (my personal favorite sealer for these types of things) all over the diaphragm. When it dried, I applied a little more silicone around the edge of the cover and set it in place then bent the tabs down to keep it there. DON'T FORGET to install the spring (I forgot but remembered before the silicone dried so it was easy to open back up and put the spring in.)
Before I put it back in, I smeared more silicone around the perimeter to make double-sure it was sealed and to cover the sharp edges that I was too lazy to smooth out.