How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Have the valve cover removed and before I remove the intake manifold and the turbo I wanted to ask what tool is used to remove the head bolts. This video below says a "12 point" socket, anyone know a part number or another name for it?

(Go to 4 mins into the video to hear him talk about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckKpYCQYM4
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby zaluss » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm

awdmofo wrote:Have the valve cover removed and before I remove the intake manifold and the turbo I wanted to ask what tool is used to remove the head bolts. This video below says a "12 point" socket, anyone know a part number or another name for it?

(Go to 4 mins into the video to hear him talk about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckKpYCQYM4


IIRC its a 12 point 12mm hex socket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-in-D ... et/3387370
zaluss
Club Member
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:41 pm
Location: Renton, WA

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:43 pm

zaluss wrote:
awdmofo wrote:Have the valve cover removed and before I remove the intake manifold and the turbo I wanted to ask what tool is used to remove the head bolts. This video below says a "12 point" socket, anyone know a part number or another name for it?

(Go to 4 mins into the video to hear him talk about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckKpYCQYM4


IIRC its a 12 point 12mm hex socket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-in-D ... et/3387370


that seems right but I believe I need the male socket not female :shrug: .
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby Locker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:10 am

its a 12 point female socket.
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Barrie, ON

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby underscore » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:35 am

You can buy the sockets, but the ones I've found are in sets and pricey (considering how little I'd use them) so I usually cheat and get a bolt and 2 or 3 nuts that are the size you need and in the highest grade available. Tighten them together and weld the last nut to the shaft of the bolt, then just use a normal socket on that to remove the bolts.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3809
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Locker wrote:its a 12 point female socket.
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them


If this is correct, does that mean the mr2 3s-gte has different bolts? I ask because the video I linked shows a male type socket and I don't mind spending the $$ to get the right tool for the job.
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:35 pm

underscore wrote:You can buy the sockets, but the ones I've found are in sets and pricey (considering how little I'd use them) so I usually cheat and get a bolt and 2 or 3 nuts that are the size you need and in the highest grade available. Tighten them together and weld the last nut to the shaft of the bolt, then just use a normal socket on that to remove the bolts.

:nono: aren't the sockets like $10??? lol
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:12 pm

What you are looking for is a 12-point spline bit or a triple square bit. They are easy to find online.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Also, are you switching over to studs or will you be using stock bolts again?
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby underscore » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:50 pm

awdmofo wrote:
underscore wrote:You can buy the sockets, but the ones I've found are in sets and pricey (considering how little I'd use them) so I usually cheat and get a bolt and 2 or 3 nuts that are the size you need and in the highest grade available. Tighten them together and weld the last nut to the shaft of the bolt, then just use a normal socket on that to remove the bolts.

:nono: aren't the sockets like $10??? lol


Maybe, to me that's still a lot for one socket I'll use once or twice. I needed a 14mm for my Jeep and I could only find it in a big $30 set so I built that for $2.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3809
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby alltracman78 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:14 am

awdmofo wrote:
Locker wrote:its a 12 point female socket.
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them


If this is correct, does that mean the mr2 3s-gte has different bolts? I ask because the video I linked shows a male type socket and I don't mind spending the $$ to get the right tool for the job.


It's not correct. Stock headbolts use a male 12 point socket.
If you have studs, then you'd use a regular socket.
Image
User avatar
alltracman78
GTFour God
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:04 am
Location: Ma

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:46 am

RedCelicaTRD wrote:Also, are you switching over to studs or will you be using stock bolts again?


Was thinking to just use the stock ones again, and it says to torq to 36ft/lbs. I have a torq wrench so that shouldn't be a problem. Any reason to switch over studs? This is a minor rebuild for a stock turbo and simple bolt on mods until I buy a 205 engine/trans and do my 400hp build. Basically trying to do this work on the cheap, but do it right the first time. :|
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 am

alltracman78 wrote:
awdmofo wrote:
Locker wrote:its a 12 point female socket.
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them


If this is correct, does that mean the mr2 3s-gte has different bolts? I ask because the video I linked shows a male type socket and I don't mind spending the $$ to get the right tool for the job.


It's not correct. Stock headbolts use a male 12 point socket.
If you have studs, then you'd use a regular socket.


I believe we have a winner. Alltracman thanks for the input, Locker your :nono: fired :nono: lol. Redcelica your awesome, and as always underscore you make me :rofl: :rofl: . but thanks though... Now to figure out how to get the intake manifold off, then the T-belt, and then the turbo. should take me a few days of poke around after work to get the head off.

Image
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby Locker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 am

alltracman78 wrote:
awdmofo wrote:
Locker wrote:its a 12 point female socket.
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them


If this is correct, does that mean the mr2 3s-gte has different bolts? I ask because the video I linked shows a male type socket and I don't mind spending the $$ to get the right tool for the job.


It's not correct. Stock headbolts use a male 12 point socket.
If you have studs, then you'd use a regular socket.

Sorry you guys are right! I used a 6 point male allen type bit. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're replacing them though...
90 ST185
Locker
Club Member
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Barrie, ON

Re: How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

Postby awdmofo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:37 pm

No worries, I'm learning everyday I work on this guy. I hope to get the timing belt off and maybe Intake manifold off tonight after work, should be fun... :roll:
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Next

Return to General Maintenance and Repair

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests