How to remove the block from a 185?

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

How to remove the block from a 185?

Postby awdmofo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 pm

I have the head off of my 185, need to remove the block without the trans if possible as a new 3S is going in or im rebuilding my 212K mile stock original motor if its not too beat up. I was reading the repair manual and its not showing me that I can remove just the block out of the car, does anyone know if that is possible? thanks.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
awdmofo
Club Member

Re: How to remove the block from a 185?

Postby alltracman78 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:01 pm

If the head is off the block I guess you might be able to.
You have to rotate the transmission [or the block] to slide the transfer case past the ear on the block.
I don't know if you'll have the room to slide the block back; now that I think about it.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby awdmofo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 pm

alltracman78 wrote:If the head is off the block I guess you might be able to.
You have to rotate the transmission [or the block] to slide the transfer case past the ear on the block.
I don't know if you'll have the room to slide the block back; now that I think about it.

is that what the manual is refering too when they say "remove the engine and transmission out as one piece... Then to remove trans from the engine slide 2-3 inches away from the block??" i was like, how are you suppose to slide it away from the block, shouldn't you have to unbolt it first :shrug: :shrug: ??

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
awdmofo
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Not exactly.
Unbolting is inferred [I don't have the manual in front of me, so I'm going off what you said], you're not sliding the engine anywhere until you unbolt everything. Don't forget the bolt through the ear behind the transfer case and the brackets on the top and end of the transfer case.
Once you've unbolted everything slide them apart an inch or two, then rotate the transmission counterclockwise so the hump for the ring gear in the transfer case clears the ear on the block, then slide off the rest of the way. It will probably take a lot of prying and hard wiggling too. The best place to pry is where the 2 steel pins stick out of the block into the bell housing.
There is room to lower the transmission down past the frame rail and control arm [you can remove the control arm if you want, it will give you more room] so you can slide it down and off.
I don't think there's room to lower the engine block down far enough to slide it off the transmission. I've never tried, so if you really want you can give that a shot; but I've pulled many engines out of these cars and I highly doubt you have the room for that.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby Smaay » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:10 pm

just pull them both, its easier and you will save yourself heartache
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
90 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
97 Supra 2JZ-GTE
97 Celica GT 3MZ/1MZ hybrid
Smaay
Club Member

Postby ChrisD » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:27 pm

^agree x1000.

It may seem like more effort to pull something that you don't "need" to, however trust the word from those who have done it many time - just pull them both out. Separating will be easier, and re-attaching will be infinitely easier. You will save time!
1988 ST165
1994 ST205 WRC
ChrisD
Established Member

Postby awdmofo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:41 pm

alltracman78 wrote:Not exactly.
Unbolting is inferred [I don't have the manual in front of me, so I'm going off what you said], you're not sliding the engine anywhere until you unbolt everything. Don't forget the bolt through the ear behind the transfer case and the brackets on the top and end of the transfer case.
Once you've unbolted everything slide them apart an inch or two, then rotate the transmission counterclockwise so the hump for the ring gear in the transfer case clears the ear on the block, then slide off the rest of the way. It will probably take a lot of prying and hard wiggling too. The best place to pry is where the 2 steel pins stick out of the block into the bell housing.
There is room to lower the transmission down past the frame rail and control arm [you can remove the control arm if you want, it will give you more room] so you can slide it down and off.
I don't think there's room to lower the engine block down far enough to slide it off the transmission. I've never tried, so if you really want you can give that a shot; but I've pulled many engines out of these cars and I highly doubt you have the room for that.

so your recommendation is to lower the trans/engine out from under the car? I was thinking of disconnecting the drive shaft and CV's and raising the whole thing up and out of the car.

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
awdmofo
Club Member

Postby awdmofo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 pm

ChrisD wrote:^agree x1000.

It may seem like more effort to pull something that you don't "need" to, however trust the word from those who have done it many time - just pull them both out. Separating will be easier, and re-attaching will be infinitely easier. You will save time!

when you did it did you drain the trans before pulling it? I drained the coolant and oil so far. Basically need to get the A/C off and the P/S off the block then I can start on the trans stuff to be removed before I pull the whole thing.

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
awdmofo
Club Member

Postby underscore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:38 am

In my youth I went through the hassle of trying to get a FWD 3SGE out through the top, I can't imagine the headache of trying to get the AWD trans out that way.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:19 am

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51507

It's an ST165 but the procedure is the same.
- Drain the coolant from the engine and the oil from the engine, trans and transfer case (two drain plugs on the trans/transfer.)
- Disconnect everything that connects between the car and the engine/trans.
- To remove the axles, I like to unbolt the lower ball joint and then give a sharp tug on the brake/hub assembly and the axle usually pops right out of the trans.
- Then roll some convenient dolly-like device under and lower the engine/trans onto it.
- Carefully raise the car just high enough that the engine/trans can be rolled out from under the car.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby awdmofo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:59 pm

underscore wrote:In my youth I went through the hassle of trying to get a FWD 3SGE out through the top, I can't imagine the headache of trying to get the AWD trans out that way.

Agreed however I've never done this big of a repair on any car before and im basically going off the Toyota repair manual that came with the car (the very thick Toyota manual) and the electronic version from all-trac.net. It says to lift the engine/trans up and out. I have very limited space in the garage im working in and am not quite sure just yet how I would be able to lift the car up over the engine. :shrug:

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
awdmofo
Club Member

Postby underscore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 pm

In my head you'd need less clearance to slide it out the bottom than pull it out the top, but I could be wrong. Taking off the hood and front bumper should gain you some extra room.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby awdmofo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:19 pm

underscore wrote:In my head you'd need less clearance to slide it out the bottom than pull it out the top, but I could be wrong. Taking off the hood and front bumper should gain you some extra room.

Hood was taken off 2 months ago when I started working on it and kept hitting my head :nono:. I guess I could remove the front bumper but don't see how it will give me much more room unless you are talking about room for lifting the car and lowering the motor and trans out?

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
awdmofo
Club Member

Postby mrfunny107 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:49 pm

gives you a nice place to wrap the strap around to lift the car. Also prevents you from damaging the bumper.
mrfunny107
Club Member

Postby Lamont » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

awdmofo wrote:
underscore wrote:In my head you'd need less clearance to slide it out the bottom than pull it out the top, but I could be wrong. Taking off the hood and front bumper should gain you some extra room.

Hood was taken off 2 months ago when I started working on it and kept hitting my head :nono:. I guess I could remove the front bumper but don't see how it will give me much more room unless you are talking about room for lifting the car and lowering the motor and trans out?

It sounds crazy, but once you remove the front bumper leave the crash bar in place. Then loop a strong chain around the front crash bar/bumper reinforcement. This will give you the leverage you'll need. Place wheel chocks on the rear tires, lift the car with an engine hoist and roll the motor out. You'll thank us later, and your also going to kick yourself for removing the head with the motor still in the car :pissed: :P
90 Celica Alltrac (Project Phoenix)
94 Celica GT V6 (Selene)
My project: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33578&start=0
Lamont
Club Member

Next

Return to General Maintenance and Repair