Extra Sensor & Different Air Tube

Aaron

Trying to figure out what this sensor on the cat is since as I recall my last All-Trac only had one O2 sensor...

20161104_180748.jpg

...and why this air pipe looks different from my last All-Trac. It's shorter. Also, there's no EGR, so I'm guessing it's JDM unless it was just blocked off. I don't really know a lot about the EGR system. There's that brown VSV at the top of the pic, too. It's not connected to anything. Does it need to be if there's no EGR?

20161112_103619.jpg

alltracman78

That's a EGT sensor. JDM engine.

You have an RC engine. Or at least a valve cover and intercooler bracket. But most likely an RC engine.
What does the AFM connector look like?

That is the VSV for the EGR, along with the bracket to hold the EGR modulator.
Not sure why it's on that manifold. Is there a hole at the end of the manifold for the EGR? If not someone stuck it on there for some reason.

Aaron

Here's a pic of the AFM connector. What does it tell you?

20160604_175427.jpg

When I bought the car, it came with a spare intake manifold which has an EGR attached. It also has 2 ECUs. The original is still in its bracket, but it's currently plugged into a JDM ECU just sitting there under the carpet. Not sure what this all adds up to. An RC swap? But why the EGR VSV bracket? Maybe the PO swapped it over 'cause he thought he needed it?

alltracman78

Sounds like a clusterf*ck. That's the downside to people working on their own cars. You definitely can learn and do it right; but most people don't. I have my own disaster from the previous owner in my garage that I'm slooooowly fixing.

Back to your problem. :)
That connector is for a regular AFM, not an RC one. So the harness and AFM is not an RC one.
The engine itself probably is, it's unlikely someone swapped a valve cover AND intercooler bracket onto it. Hang onto that bracket, if you don't use it someone else can; they're very hard to find.
As for the ECU, it could be RC or just regular JDM. Or something else. Can't tell without the part number.
Do you have a check engine light on?
Is your engine harness all factory or has someone rewired it?

Aaron

Part # is 89661-2B280. No CEL and no codes. I had codes for knock sensor and TPS, but I fixed both those problems. Right now, the car runs, but it runs like shit. There's a vacuum leak at the intake manifold, though, so I can't tell how it's truly running until I fix that.

The harness does look hacked up here and there, but mostly on the interior.

I was reading that a regular AFM with an RC engine will cause it to run rich. Does this mean I need to either find an RC AFM or eliminate it altogether before it'll run right?

Also, should I consider myself special for having an RC engine? :D

alltracman78

That's a 92-93 JDM ECU, so it fits with your cars [92] USDM harness and the AFM.

So it looks like you have an RC engine with a regular JDM ECU.

The only thing special about the RC engine is that it has laser welded valve seats. Supposedly it improves torque, but very very slight I would assume.
The big stuff is outside the engine. The ECU/AFM make the most difference but you need the intercooler to fully realize their potential.
I've also read the turbo is slightly different, I'm not sure on that.

Aaron

So will I have any problems getting it to run correctly with this setup or will I need to get some kind of EMS?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

underscore

^ exactly. As long as those two are paired correctly it should be fine, the RC differences are outside the engine. The turbo is different, the AFM and ECU are different, the intercooler system is different, transmission is different. As I recall the laser welded seats were introduced on the RC but then used on the facelifted 185's and then the 205's so they aren't overly unique.

Aaron

What's different about the turbo? Also, how can I check if maybe he also swapped in the E151F with the motor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

underscore

The fancy details are on here somewhere but the visual difference is that the inlet opening is bigger, if you pull the coupler going to the MAF off the RC turbo is pretty much straight, the regular turbo has a taper.