Leaking out trans vent

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Leaking out trans vent

Postby celica-fiend » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Hey all.. Ive an st185 trans in my 91 camry alltrac and the last few months it looks like Im puking oil out the breather vent over on the drivers side front, near the shifter tower..

Anyone had similar issues and/or ideas?

Thanks,

Brett
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
celica-fiend

Re: Leaking out trans vent

Postby GT4_DRED » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:12 pm

celica-fiend wrote:Hey all.. Ive an st185 trans in my 91 camry alltrac and the last few months it looks like Im puking oil out the breather vent over on the drivers side front, near the shifter tower..

Anyone had similar issues and/or ideas?

Thanks,

Brett

The tranny is overfilled with oil. Undo the fill bolt at the front of the tranny, while the car is on a flat surface. Let the excess fluid run out until it stops and put the bolt back in.
'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver
'88 ST165 - project "Rahtid"
'88 ST165 - Project "Supah Cyat"
'91 MR2
'93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"
GT4_DRED
Club Member

Postby celica-fiend » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Unfortunately Im not sure thats it.. as when I swapped the 5spd in a couple years ago I put the oil in myself.. and the level was even a little shy of the fill hole then..

Never had one of these trannys apart, so wasnt sure what that vent opens into inside, if its baffled area or open case or what..

On the upside, it didnt immediately spawn a "oh yeah, that.. the trannys on its way out because <insert well known trans problem here>" thread reply.. so Ill clean off the spillage and see if it continues to do puke or if it was a one time thing..

thanks for the input,

brett
celica-fiend

Postby mx6er2587 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:09 am

Sure it's gear oil? The distributor, at least on the 3sgte is right above that area of the transmission. Leaking distributor will spill engine oil on and around that vent
mx6er2587
Established Member

Return to General Maintenance and Repair