Leaking out trans vent

celica-fiend

Hey all.. Ive an st185 trans in my 91 camry alltrac and the last few months it looks like Im puking oil out the breather vent over on the drivers side front, near the shifter tower..

Anyone had similar issues and/or ideas?

Thanks,

Brett

GT4_DRED

celica-fiend":2wum9at7 said:
Hey all.. Ive an st185 trans in my 91 camry alltrac and the last few months it looks like Im puking oil out the breather vent over on the drivers side front, near the shifter tower..

Anyone had similar issues and/or ideas?

Thanks,

Brett
The tranny is overfilled with oil. Undo the fill bolt at the front of the tranny, while the car is on a flat surface. Let the excess fluid run out until it stops and put the bolt back in.

celica-fiend

Unfortunately Im not sure thats it.. as when I swapped the 5spd in a couple years ago I put the oil in myself.. and the level was even a little shy of the fill hole then..

Never had one of these trannys apart, so wasnt sure what that vent opens into inside, if its baffled area or open case or what..

On the upside, it didnt immediately spawn a "oh yeah, that.. the trannys on its way out because <insert well known trans problem here>" thread reply.. so Ill clean off the spillage and see if it continues to do puke or if it was a one time thing..

thanks for the input,

brett

mx6er2587

Sure it's gear oil? The distributor, at least on the 3sgte is right above that area of the transmission. Leaking distributor will spill engine oil on and around that vent