Dies at Idle - Video Included

Aaron

This is a project car and I don't know when it ran normally last. See video below. I start it up and if I give it gas, it'll stay alive. If I don't, it dies out. No codes. If I stay on the throttle for a while, I end up seeing some smoke rising from the manifold/primary cat area. Is that from a clogged cat? Could that cause it to die? Any other ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diWccTk ... e=youtu.be

Corey

My first guess would be vacuum leak, but the smoke is hard to explain with that... if there is smoke (exhaust?) coming from the manifold then maybe there is an exhaust leak.

If the car has EGR, the BGB says maybe the EGR valve is stuck open.

Another possibility is that the ISC valve plug is disconnected or malfunctioning (just under the throttle body on the left by the oil cap).

underscore

First things first I'd check for an intake leak with a boost leak tester, a pre-O2 exhaust leak will make you run rich and bog. The smoke might be from people touching the exhaust while working on the car.

Aaron

Had a hose missing on the TVSV. :doh: All's pretty good now. Was actually able to drive it up and down the street without much of an issue. Brakes are still pretty squishy, so I didn't get out of 2nd gear. I want to do brakes and a coolant flush before I push too hard. Also need to fix the coolant temp gauge. I'm guessing it's just the sensor on the water pipe that's busted. Fuel gauge, too, but one thing at a time... :)