rebuilt engine that have blue smoke

superboonan

So I bought this celica about 10 months ago and from the start it had alot of problem, blue smoke, overheating (tempgauge read fine) leaking headgasket probably, it had the filthiest engine compartment i've ever seen, so i pretty much had to decide if i was going to buy an replacement engine or do a rebuild and i chose the rebuild to save myself from possible buying another crappy engine :crazy: well then i started taking the egine apart, i had the head completely rebuilt by an trusted mechanic, i had the block machined every bearing replaced every gasket replaced new piston rings did not have money at the time for new pistons, they looked good and tought they were better than cheap ebay ones, new steel headgasket new waterpump,oilpump etc etc.. all new parts where quality parts. well then when i finnally got it running again (about 2 months ago) i found that after i turned it of it started boiling in the top radiator hose, i tought it was just air so i filled the radiator up till it stopped dissapearing coolant from it but it still continued..

well two weeks ago hell broke loose and it started smoking blue like crazy after it warmed up, found alot of oil in intake tought it was the turbo, had the turbo checked but it wasnt that, tried disconnecting the valve ventilation from the intake but it made no diffrence. i noticed that there was oil in the other house that goes from the air filter to the throttle body :? i tried to temporaly fix it with this oil smoke stop that you mix with the oil and it did not do anything

so can it be my new piston ring have worn out already?
steelheadgasket not working?
cracked block.

After all these months since your post, what happened? Where are you now? An engine rebuild as a lot of very delicate and particular assembly requirements that go with it - fail any one, and things like you were experiencing happen. Are you OK now? If so, was there one particular thing that caused these problems after your rebuild attempt?

superboonan

93celicaconv":10fxtgly said:
After all these months since your post, what happened? Where are you now? An engine rebuild as a lot of very delicate and particular assembly requirements that go with it - fail any one, and things like you were experiencing happen. Are you OK now? If so, was there one particular thing that caused these problems after your rebuild attempt?

Hi I had the same mechanic look at it after I didn't find what was wrong, he opened the turbo and found out that it leaked oil after all, luckily I had had the turbo rebuilt during the same time so it is at the moment being rebuilt again under warranty, and then he found out that the block wasn't 100% even though it was grinded(?) I don't know what it's in English but when they grind it plane in a machine. So it was leaking fluids there as well. So at the moment the engine is opened up at the mechanics place and I will go this Monday and decide what will be done to it.

I'm always so unlucky with my project cars even tough in my mind chose the most reliable brand :roll:

I'm thinking, by "grinding", you are referring to the process of checking the head for flatness where it meets the block (where the head gasket is). If not flat enough, that surface is typically ground to ensure flatness before reassembly with a head gasket to the block. If this wasn't done (or wasn't done correctly), I can see it leaking coolant/oil at the head gasket area.

Let us know next week, after you get more information back from your mechanic. There are plenty of 3S-GTE engines out there for sale, but I'm sensing you don't need to worry about that kind of cost right now - I'm thinking a good mechanic will get your current engine repaired properly.

crackerjack

when I reguilt the Gen2 3SGTE, I was very paranoid about how flat everything is, I had the block machined(.006 inch warp), the head has the same warp. I had both of them machined. I did buy piston on Ebay with rings as I can never put old piston back in because of the wear on the skirt. No stone was left unturn building it. Didn't want to do same work four times.
I bought the car with a blown head gasket. Previous owner missed a few things and he blew the gasket within 50KM of driving.
So far, 5000KM and no issue. Boosting at 14 PSI.

Ebay piston works good.

superboonan

93celicaconv":2w2lh01g said:
I'm thinking, by "grinding", you are referring to the process of checking the head for flatness where it meets the block (where the head gasket is). If not flat enough, that surface is typically ground to ensure flatness before reassembly with a head gasket to the block. If this wasn't done (or wasn't done correctly), I can see it leaking coolant/oil at the head gasket area.

Let us know next week, after you get more information back from your mechanic. There are plenty of 3S-GTE engines out there for sale, but I'm sensing you don't need to worry about that kind of cost right now - I'm thinking a good mechanic will get your current engine repaired properly.

Yes that what was I ment. I Spoke with my current mechanic yesterday and he had found out that the bolts holding the head to the block were missing their washers and probably let oil and coolant leak through the gasket and that their was no sign of failing piston rings, hopefully that's all it is

superboonan":3spzjues said:
Yes that what was I ment. I Spoke with my current mechanic yesterday and he had found out that the bolts holding the head to the block were missing their washers and probably let oil and coolant leak through the gasket and that their was no sign of failing piston rings, hopefully that's all it is
I have to be honest here - what mechanic shop could possibly overhaul and engine and not understand the fundamentals of cylinder head bolts/washers? Most likely, without washers, the bolts bottomed out in the block, so there was no force put on the head gasket. No wonder you have what you have. On an engine overhaul, one always gets new head bolts and washers. How could this possibly be missed? What else did a mechanic that missed this fundamental item miss elsewhere in the engine rebuild? I really would expect this mechanic shop to refund your cost based upon this error. There is no excuse for this kind of delivery. My humble opinion.

superboonan

93celicaconv":hqe3fmv1 said:
superboonan":hqe3fmv1 said:
I have to be honest here - what mechanic shop could possibly overhaul and engine and not understand the fundamentals of cylinder head bolts/washers? Most likely, without washers, the bolts bottomed out in the block, so there was no force put on the head gasket. No wonder you have what you have. On an engine overhaul, one always gets new head bolts and washers. How could this possibly be missed? What else did a mechanic that missed this fundamental item miss elsewhere in the engine rebuild? I really would expect this mechanic shop to refund your cost based upon this error. There is no excuse for this kind of delivery. My humble opinion.

Yes that what he thought aswell with the bottoming out. Well I learned that it's better to do it yourself if you don't find a real trusted mechanic, but the workshop it's at now also do some work a WRC team so I guess it's at a good place