Bad turbo?

So a litle while ago I was trying to diagnose a starter issue before I found out about the relay mod. While checking the alternator output voltage I noticed a " grinding" noise coming from the turbo while is was spooling down after reving the motor. Now I am no mechanic but my assumption was shaft play so today I took the intercooler off to take a look. The turbo dident have any shaft play when I checked but when I took the intercooler off I was looking it over and noticed it smelt like fuel as well as there is a brown residue that dosent feel oily but also dosent smell like fuel. This residue has coated the entire inside of the intercooler as well as the throttle body, intake tubing and MAF unit. I havent looked inside the air box but the fact that it goes up to the MAF has me out of ideas as to what it could be.

My car is a 1992 alltrac with a little over 200,000 kms.

underscore

That sounds like oil from the crankcase vent. It enters the intake piping just before the turbo, lots of people like to add a catch can inline to capture the oil. You can use gasoline to clean the oil out of the intercooler (be careful).