Engine bay repaint

r-town

So after a couple of runs with Simple Green, most of the gunk has been removed from the engine bay. The goal is to paint the engine bay black. The factory sealed areas look like a lousy job. Currently watching some YouTube videos on stripping and resealing. Any input/hints for those who have stripped the engine bay to the bare metal would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the current state:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s9c7l3i5u8fz ... 7tg7a?dl=0

GT4_DRED

Stripping the bay is a LOT of work. Degrease, scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad, wipe down with pre-paint cleaner, primer and paint. Are you painting with a gun? I used single stage in an aerosol can made by the auto paint shop and it worked good..

FC Zach

GT4_DRED":1blaus90 said:
Stripping the bay is a LOT of work. Degrease, scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad, wipe down with pre-paint cleaner, primer and paint. Are you painting with a gun? I used single stage in an aerosol can made by the auto paint shop and it worked good..

All of this! That's what I did and with positive results :) Although it was MUCH more tedious for me since I didn't want to break the seal on any of my lines so I worked around them.
15600153723_585955c817_z.jpg

16032651350_08cfe5eb51_z.jpg

gt4ferko

Looks great! I recently painted mine too. Along with refinishing my transmission.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1038978707.jpg
    Snapchat-1038978707.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Snapchat-1481688708.jpg
    Snapchat-1481688708.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 1,183

r-town

GT4_DRED":2ehl2q6i said:

Sounds like I'm going to take this route. This was my original plan, I didn't know how well the paint was going to hold since the previous owner painted some areas metallic blue, but it started to peel off. I guess there was no prep work done.

FC Zach":2ehl2q6i said:
GT4_DRED":2ehl2q6i said:

All of this! That's what I did and with positive results :) Although it was MUCH more tedious for me since I didn't want to break the seal on any of my lines so I worked around them.
15600153723_585955c817_z.jpg

16032651350_08cfe5eb51_z.jpg

Nice work. That looks like it was pain to work around all those lines. The results look amazing though. I decided to remove the lines as I'm replacing most of the stuff in the alltrac with the ones off a parts car I have. Was your Alltrac original color red or burgundy?

gt4ferko":2ehl2q6i said:
Looks great! I recently painted mine too. Along with refinishing my transmission.

Nice! I'm planning to paint the transmission as well. It looks like a lot of ST185s came in red. One of my past alltracs was red as well. As for this one, the previous owner custom painted the Alltrac to metallic blue-ish (grey-ish), else I would've kept the original engine bay color as burgundy.

r-town

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still in the process of degreasing the bay. Today I removed the brake booster and the clutch master cylinder. Next will be painting part.

FC Zach

r-town":i2nbmlku said:
Nice work. That looks like it was pain to work around all those lines. The results look amazing though. I decided to remove the lines as I'm replacing most of the stuff in the alltrac with the ones off a parts car I have. Was your Alltrac original color red or burgundy?

It was red. . Thanks for the kind words, it's been a chore hiding any sign if the previous color. I was hesitant about cleaning/spraying the bay when I had the engine out and almost talked myself out of doing it out of laziness but I'm glad I did it. . I'd still be kicking myself had I not.