Wierd a/c problem, and heat problem...

mofoparrot

Ok, so I before my a/c use to come on for about 5 seconds ice cold, and then the light would start blinkning and it woudn't work cold anymore, so toyota told me my a/c comp and cluitch where bad, so I bought a new a/c comp and clutch, replaced them, I went to have the 134a (or what ever it was convered too) filled and they told me it didn't take as much as it should of like 6 ounces less or something, so I start the car and same thing happens, light comes on for 5 seconds, comes out cold, then starts coming out norm temp.... and the light starts blinking any ideas?! Second, heat seems to just come when I'm driving the car, anyone have this, not from the vents but some where in the car, and it's all really hot, warms the car up, reason I wanted to get a/c working, any ideas?! when I touch the pannel next in the passanger side when I sit, I touch it and it's really warm,

Thanks for all the help!

John

xgtfour

I had the exact same problem, light on the A/C would flash and no cool air. It turned out to be a low voltage problem. The short wiring harness with three wires from the alternator to the main harness was bad. It also caused the car to run bad at idle. It would sometimes work and other times not. I diagnosed it by checking the voltage at the fuse and relay box under the hood. I believe the A/C clutch needs full voltage or it will not work and cause the light to blink.

I was about to change the compressor clutch but heard I could smell it burning if it was bad and there was no smell.

Darius
'88 ST165

mofoparrot

Alright, I'll have to check that, how do I go about finding out the correct voltage, and how to I check the voltage?

Thanks
John

xgtfour

Your ST185 is wired a little differently. I was taking a multimeter and checking the voltage across the fuse marked CHARGE. You have a similar fuse marked IGN in the number #1 slot on the driver's side kick panel. Check it with the car running to make sure it is getting around 12 volts. My car had 3 volts and would jump to 12 if I missed with the wiring. You can also check voltage at the battery while it is running, should be between 13.5 to 15.5 volts. My car is very sensitive to voltage, a weak alternator or battery can cause a lot of problems.

Rick89GTS

xgtfour":3saz5h3l said:
I had the exact same problem, light on the A/C would flash and no cool air. It turned out to be a low voltage problem. The short wiring harness with three wires from the alternator to the main harness was bad. It also caused the car to run bad at idle. It would sometimes work and other times not. I diagnosed it by checking the voltage at the fuse and relay box under the hood. I believe the A/C clutch needs full voltage or it will not work and cause the light to blink.

I was about to change the compressor clutch but heard I could smell it burning if it was bad and there was no smell.

Darius
'88 ST165

So the fix was to replace the alternator wiring harness?
Good tip to keep in the back of your mind, thanx :D