Identifying strange smells

dluke

While driving (especially when the car is just warming up, but not always) I get a smell that I can't identify.

It smells a little like 'bad clutch', but is not as strong and reminds me of burnt peanut shells. I haven't seen any smoke when this is happening.

I had thought it was the plastic cover over the ABS system (which had been bent and was rubbing the alternator belt) but I removed that and I'm still getting the smell.

Any ideas on where to look or what I'm smelling?

Thanks.

busdriver

If you still have the stock exhaust it could be your catalytic converter. When they start to go they have rather unpleasant smell. Does it get worse when you get on the throttle?

dluke

busdriver":1egl5iju said:
If you still have the stock exhaust it could be your catalytic converter. When they start to go they have rather unpleasant smell. Does it get worse when you get on the throttle?

I don't have stock exhaust, but I'm not sure how much is aftermarket (previous owner changed the exhaust).

It's not a constant smell, just occasionally. I can't seem to pin it down (it doesn't always happen on a quick start, or when the engine is cold, or when I'm downshifting). I seem to notice it more when I've had the car at higher rpms, but it's very inconsistent. (I was hoping the description of the smell might clue someone in).

In any event, I'll check out the catalytic converter. Thanks for the tip!