Please name your brand of transmission fluid

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Postby gpmarzan » Thu May 26, 2005 3:24 am

I use Valvoline 80w-90. It sucks! im grinding 3rd gear. It only grinds when the oil is warmed up. Its smooth shifting when the oil is somewhat still warming up.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Patrick M.
st165

gpmarzan
Established Member

Postby TomsGT4 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:47 pm

75W90 High performance Lucas synthetic transmission fluid.
Expensive, but excellent.
Tom
1990 ST185
1990 Corolla SR5
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"

Postby froussemaite » Thu May 26, 2005 3:47 pm

I've been using the cheapest ATF that I can find for a few years now. Moto-master ATF $4 for 4 litres. You can get it at Canadian Tire, so you US guys - there must be an equivalent out there.

I replaced the syncros in my tranny to solve the old 1-2 prob, tried two different types of expensive synthetics and still got the grind. I was recommended the ATF by the GT4EH group and was skeptical at first, but then I noticed that it is a substitute in the manual. Tried it, 1-2 grind gone and have been shifting smooth ever since.
--Jake
90 ST-185
Nemesis ECU, T04-E 46, 540 inj, 3" Turbo Back
Whitline springs and swaybar, Koni srtuts, full bushings
Removed: ABS, AC, CC, TVIS and More
froussemaite
Club Member

Postby alltracshoak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:30 am

goldfish wrote:I use Amsoil. I'm a full Amsoil believer. I had some grinding...put in the new stuff and haven't had any problems since (1.5 years ago). I've got 160k on it now. I put it in the Tranny and the rear diff. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

I just pulled the engine and will be buying more of the same to put it in when i put it all back together. I use Amsoil everything in my car now. Love it! I go 6k miles between changes and the oil still feels great. They make high quality filters and I will be putting on their remote filtration kit with a fine filter when I put the car back together.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

For NA cars, they have an oil that they guarantee for 35k miles/1 year. My father put that in his new Avalon and left it in for 14 months and 29000 miles. He has the fine filter kit on. After the 14 months, the oil wasn't black - just a dark brown and it still felt like the day he put it in. I dont know if you have ever felt a crappy oil after long use...it feels like water. This stuff still felt like oil. It has a high boiling point. They make a turbo formulated version for motor oil.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Okay, i guess i got a bit off topic - but needless to say, i like them and dont plan to change. If you know someone with a distributor account (like myself) you can get it drop shipped to you in usually 2 days - at a decent discount to what is listed on that site. i got the distributor account because i buy enough stuff to save money that way. i dont actually distribute, but i do favors for friends and family...

when you switched to amsoil, does it still grinds?
alltracshoak
Gold Member

Postby Indy3sgte » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:02 pm

75W90 High performance Lucas synthetic transmission fluid.
Expensive, but excellent.

How long have you had lucas in? I thought about going this route but have you noticed any improvements? Just curious

Dan
Indianapolis, IN
1990 ST185
Rebuild Pictures (UPDATED!! AGAIN!)
Indy3sgte
Club Member

Postby goldfish » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:25 pm

alltracshoak wrote:
goldfish wrote:I use Amsoil. I'm a full Amsoil believer. I had some grinding...put in the new stuff and haven't had any problems since (1.5 years ago). I've got 160k on it now. I put it in the Tranny and the rear diff. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

I just pulled the engine and will be buying more of the same to put it in when i put it all back together. I use Amsoil everything in my car now. Love it! I go 6k miles between changes and the oil still feels great. They make high quality filters and I will be putting on their remote filtration kit with a fine filter when I put the car back together.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

For NA cars, they have an oil that they guarantee for 35k miles/1 year. My father put that in his new Avalon and left it in for 14 months and 29000 miles. He has the fine filter kit on. After the 14 months, the oil wasn't black - just a dark brown and it still felt like the day he put it in. I dont know if you have ever felt a crappy oil after long use...it feels like water. This stuff still felt like oil. It has a high boiling point. They make a turbo formulated version for motor oil.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Okay, i guess i got a bit off topic - but needless to say, i like them and dont plan to change. If you know someone with a distributor account (like myself) you can get it drop shipped to you in usually 2 days - at a decent discount to what is listed on that site. i got the distributor account because i buy enough stuff to save money that way. i dont actually distribute, but i do favors for friends and family...

when you switched to amsoil, does it still grinds?

Nope...it drives great! I dont have any problems with the tranny.
David G.
'91 ST185
goldfish
Club Member

Postby Mafix » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:28 pm

i'm using pennsoil syncromesh and it works wonders.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby wizzards581 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:03 am

maroon_185 wrote:I gots pennzoil synchromesh, solved my 2nd gear grind problem.
-90 celica turbo All-Trac (sold)
-03 matrix XR
wizzards581
Established Member

Postby rightrac » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:05 am

I am a big fan of the synchomesh but this time around i am going to try BG ultra guard 75 90 , i'll report back on how it goes.
rightrac
Established Member

Postby alltracshoak » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:22 am

cool.let me know so ill try out something. it seems like my cable bushings are worn out. im going to try that first than tranny fluid. let me know how your bg ultra guard goes. keep me updated.
alltracshoak
Gold Member

Postby Fraggle » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:20 am

i went to syncromesh and its smooth as butter
92 alltrac. 3" exhaust, intake, hks ssq bov, mbc @ 11 psi, TRD 3 puck clutch and XTD lightweight flywheel.

::::Vroooooom PSSssshhhh rattle rattle clunk clunk snap::::
Fraggle
Club Member

Postby ruffneck » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:16 pm

I use Castrol Syntrax 75w90, seems pretty damn good to me....pricey though...specifically recommended for "Celica GT4" on the back panel of the container...can't go wrong with that 8)
ruffneck
st185 that's getting there
melb, aust.
ruffneck
Club Member

Postby MR2TuRbZ » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:32 pm

maroon_185 wrote:I gots pennzoil synchromesh, solved my 2nd gear grind problem.

+10894508520485

this stuff has done wonders on my MR2... i cant wait to throw it in the alltrac
'91 MR2 Turbo
'90 Alltrac
MR2TuRbZ
Club Member

Postby pepper » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:06 am

A couple of members with high power (350+ whp) alltracs have had their transfer case gears break when using synchromesh, instead of the recommended GL-5 oil. Check the third post in this thread:
http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13081&highlight=

Something to consider if you're putting out significantly more power than stock
Mike
'88 ST165
Vancouver, WA USA ------------------------------ mine
pepper
Club Member

Postby built2run » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:38 am

i use nothing but redline
"straight lines r 4 fast cars, turns r 4 fast drivers" Colin McRae.
ST165, black: parted and gone
ST165, white: rear ended by ass hat
ST165, white: sold to friend
ST185, black: current project, "The Kraken"
built2run
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Maintenance and Repair