Shift gone to the depths hell

gt4ever

Hey,
THANKS, all those who helped on my last thread, now here is the new one:

OK now here is the next problem :cry: I have always had a problem in down shifting to fourth, last owner tried putting new synchros (spelling) in and it kind of (stress the kind of) helped. But now I am slipping out of fifth every so often on the freeway, mostly it feel like when I am letting off on the gas a bit, and just yesterday, I went to go into third and the BAM it just literally SHOT out. It went in and the BAM GRIND it slipped out, and I had to kind of play around to get it to go in (go back into fourth and then back again). Any ideas here? We are not talking 1/4 miles high rev shifts either, just normal driving, and no not normal alltrac driving just the light stuff :D
One thing to keep in mind, one of the bolts on the clutch release cylinder broke off on my rebuild, but it is hydraulic, and seems to be firmly in place, but I don’t see if that was the problem why I only have problems in two gears? Ok well *RANT OFF*

Thanks again, and anymore help is for bonus points ; )
Brier B
1991 st185
1993 mr2 na

Hmm,

Bad shifting forks in the tranny?
Bad shifting cables (there are two, so maybe one is bad)

Does it shift easily when the car is not running and sitting still?

gt4ever

It shifts pretty good when the car is not moving. And an update. today I took a cruise to pick up my new FMIC and CS/RC bumper :D and I really paid close attention to how it was shifting, when I was in fifth gear, and I was putting down pretty lioghtly on the gas, it would SLOWLY move out of gear, and when I let off the gas if it had not come out of gear yet it would just pop back in.
As for third, never comes out, it just wont go in sometimes, or shots out right after I put it in (closer attention revieled that it was never really strongly in 3rd in the first place) but once it is in third its fine.

And one more quick question to show how much of a NOOB I am... how could I check the cables and the tranny fork?
Well thanks again for the help,
-Brier B
1991 st185
1993 MR2 NA

Mad1

Hi,

you said that you have done a rebuild lately??
did you check of replace any of the engine/gearbox mounts??
(won't be so familiar with them until tomorrow, engine and box out :cry: )
The reason I am asking is because it sounds like (from your description) your engine is moving enough to push it out of gear.
Reason for this assumption is :- you said it jumps out of 3rd and 5th, so if the engine tilts to the back/front while accelerating it will put pressure on the gear linkage forcing it to move hence the jumping out when you let of the gas the opposite force is applied hence going back to normal position.
Little test:- drive forward and shift to 2nd accelarate slowly, hold the gear stick firmly and see if it feels like its pushing towards the back of the car and when you let the gas off, foot off the clutch and see if you can push it out of gear, you should then be able to tell the difference in the pressure put on the linkage as really there should be not that much difference between driving and not.
I hope this might help you.

Greetz

gt4ever

Hey,
I did that test. And nothing much happend. It is only in 5th and 3rd gear. Could it possibly be the shifter itself?

Also the one big question, I think it may be the cable that pulls back, since it is 3rd and 5th gear. How can I check that cable? (any tips)

Thanks in advance,
Brier B- San Mateo
1991 st185
1993 MR2 NA

Mad1

I just had my engine and box out yesterday :cry: from what I could tell for it to jump out of gear the cables would have to be either twisted or something else pulling or pushing against them, I think you should just unclip them from the selectors make sure there are no kinks in them, but before you take them off put it in 3rd then try and drive (without the cables on) see if it jumps out now (dont drive so far you only have 1 gear and no reverse).
Another thing that could be possible but I don't know if it applies to the Celica, on a lot of gearboxes 3rd and 5th are the top of the gearbox so if you don't have enough oil the syncro's don't work properly hence sometimes crunching and possible slipping out of gear.

hope this helps

Good luck

Plex

Yeah I needa replace my enginemounts too.. it scares the sh*t outta me every time mine moves back when i let the clutch out in 5th

alltracman78

Mad1":2quhi2bz said:
Hi,

you said that you have done a rebuild lately??
did you check of replace any of the engine/gearbox mounts??
(won't be so familiar with them until tomorrow, engine and box out :cry: )
The reason I am asking is because it sounds like (from your description) your engine is moving enough to push it out of gear.
Reason for this assumption is :- you said it jumps out of 3rd and 5th, so if the engine tilts to the back/front while accelerating it will put pressure on the gear linkage forcing it to move hence the jumping out when you let of the gas the opposite force is applied hence going back to normal position.
Little test:- drive forward and shift to 2nd accelarate slowly, hold the gear stick firmly and see if it feels like its pushing towards the back of the car and when you let the gas off, foot off the clutch and see if you can push it out of gear, you should then be able to tell the difference in the pressure put on the linkage as really there should be not that much difference between driving and not.
I hope this might help you.

Greetz

We have cable shifter, not linkage. Engine moving wouldn't cause that, unless there was some EXTREME pressue on the cables, as in you'd notice other things too.