Oil filter removal

Dickie

I am having difficulties trying to remove my oil filter. I did an oil changed but I just can't get the old oil filter out. I don't have an oil filter wrench and tried removing the filter by hand, however, the filter will not budge. :cry:

A friend told me to use a hammer and try knocking the filter a couple of times and it will come out. Is this a safe way of removing the filter?

Any tips on how to remove the filter?

Gary

Knocking the filter with the hammer? :shock:
Just buy an oil filter wrench.
I know some people punch the screwdriver in and turn it, but that's not on our cars.

Showkemp

I had the same problem. I've just grabed the filter with a wrench (similar to that on the foto) from the top, and turn.

7.0527.jpg

Plex

Yeah my dad has that one...

lol I haven't even changed the oil on my car yet... hmm maybe I'll do that this weekend

Wheres the filter? I suppose I can just got look hahaha

Gary

Plex":38beb979 said:
Yeah my dad has that one...
lol I haven't even changed the oil on my car yet... hmm maybe I'll do that this weekend

Wheres the filter? I suppose I can just got look hahaha

The filter is under the hood!
mounted to the oil filter bracket :|

Dickie

OK guys, an oil filter wrench sounds like a great idea. I like the wrench Gary is using. It is small and goes right over the filter: looks like it's very easy to work with too. Most importantly, it does not take up much storage space LOL :lol: .

froussemaite

Just take a pair of needle nose pliers and spread 'em open... Then gently tap them into the top of the filter, puncturing two holes.. The just use the pliers as a handle to loosen the filter.

Works like a champ

Dickie

froussemaitre":29tzgn9l said:
Just take a pair of needle nose pliers and spread 'em open... Then gently tap them into the top of the filter, puncturing two holes.. The just use the pliers as a handle to loosen the filter.

Works like a champ

I will definitely try that technique when I get home because I really need to get that filter off ASAP. Thanks man.

etantshi

How about... don't tighten or let anyone tighten your oil filter down like a silver backed gorilla. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.