Coolant Leak from hell

mototebok

Well... this is more for anyone else's benefit than anything, sence I already discovered the source and cause...but let's start from the beginning.

So I have this coolant leak, horribly fast, like a steady stream of water when the cars cold or warm. Primary dripping was comming down from the back of the oil pan, firewall side. however... there was also dripping all around the engine. "Uh oh" I immediate thought, blown HG. After getting the shrounds off the bottom, I discovered a steady stream of water flow comming from the exhaust side of the oil pan, right on the corner by the crank pulley.

At this point I felt better because it was one source, and I made the mistake of thinking it was the thermostat housing or hose. I got the thermostat out... and replaced it with a new stant all metal one... only to notice that was not where it was comming from. There seemed to be no coolant on the block behind the thermostat housing and the bypass tube. At this point I needed to take off stuff to see where this coolant was comming from.

The a/c system needed to be charged anyways, so I just said screw it and removed everything, and I mean everything related to the a/c under the hood. 5 hours later the compressor was out, the a/c lines, the condenser, drier, and while I was at it... the cruise control (Wow, alot heavier than I expected) and that silly loop for the power steering fluid.

Here's the stuff that came out that's never going back in:
121-2193_IMG.jpg

OK, so now I can see where the coolant is comming from... this little hole on the water pump housing:
121-2199_IMG.jpg

Sence this board was down... I was posting on the mr2 board... trying to figure out if this hole is supposed to have a plug in it or something. After getting no useful responses, I started the journey to pull the water pump.

I'm really wondering how they assembled all this stuff into the engine bay, because first off, I had to pull the engine mount to get to a couple bolts for the timing belt covers, but to pull the engine mount I had to remove the power steering reservior. I then proceeded to use the old jam the wrench against the axle and use the starter trick to break free the crank pulley bolt. Fashioned myself a makeshift pulley puller using two c-clamps, a lug nut key, and a random bracket to get the pulley off.

Now I could get the bottom timing belt cover off.

Pulled the timing belt off, and started taking out the bolts for the water pump. At this point if I plugged the hole it was leaking from, it would flow out from a vent hole on the water pump sprocket, meaning that the impeller shaft seal is the culprit here, and I'm going to be needing a new water pump. :cry: Idler pulley #2 is in the way of the water pump of course, that that's off too.

So, I ordered a new water pump, new gaskets, and a new timing belt. Does anyone know offhand if I can use the alternater belt listed for no a/c with the factory tensioner, or will I have to swap on a ribbed pulley?

I guess I'm going to be taking a bunch of that castrol putple stuff to this engine now that everything's off of it while I wait for the parts to show up, make it look all silver again...

beej

wow dude sounds like u had some fun, very sorry to hear....that engine 'll look mighty clean wen u get her done though, and now that u got fresh shit, theres alot less to go wrong, and ur int he clear fora while :D

mototebok

That's the idea :wink:

The date stamp on the water pump is January of '94. Due for a replacement anyways. Good news is that the internals of the water pump and passages in the block were AMAZINGLY clean. I'm beginning to wonder if this engine was rebuilt not too long ago, being that it has 180k on the odometer.

alltracman78

Take a look at your oil pump while you're down there.....

And I reccomend using a Toyota pump, most (if not all) other places will give you the pump for the 5sfe, which will bolt on, but won't flow enough water (impeller is WAAY smaller). Maybe new thermostat while you're at it. Tensioner is a beatch to get back on (gotta get the piston pressed in and held [allen wrench, or pin, ect]).

mototebok

New stant all metal thermostat is already in :)

Got the tensioner out and compressed back in. Glad I have a vice. :wink:

Know the toyota part number by any chance?

Dano

I just had Toyota dealer do an upper engine rebuild on '88 ST165. Water pump was part #16100-79105 for $133.10 CDN.

mototebok

YESSSS!!! The car runs once more! :evil:

Have a new GM knock sensor and ATS adapter. I spliced the wire about 4" from the harness entry point to the engine bay with some fresh shielded coax sample from Alpha wire. :D

Much thanks to Bori for the ATS adapter and gm pigtail :D

NEW water pump, none of that remanufactued stuff. new thermostat. new gaskets all around.

new ps belt, new alternator belt.

FYI, using a 385 length belt to run the alternator without an a/c compressor and still use the factory tensioner. :D

No more hesitation on throttle, no more coolant leak, no oil leak, no more vacuum leaks, and a smooth idle are the results :D:D

Now... I need nuts for the turbo elbow to turbine housing. Anyone know the diameter/pitch of these threads offhand?

Next step... pass inspection and emissions... and another alltrac back on the road. :D

Bori

Damn, :twisted:

If i take my car apart like that i wouldn't remember how to put any of it back.

Glad to know the alltrac is feeling better.
Now you can come down and work on mine. :D

mototebok

Sure is.

Sadly.... I got the car all back together today, and got to take it for it's first spin without an ecu retarding things..... and the turbo is MIGHTY dead. :cry: That wonderful child screeching noise. :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead: :pissed:

So... the alltrac is going into the garage until I can throw alot of money at it. If I have to change the turbo, an upgrade is in order... and when I start doing that.... it all rolls downhill from there.

Thinking t3/t4 hybrid, tubular manifold, aussie turbo back, microtech, 650cc injectors, fuel pump n regulator, bosch bpv.... and then I'll see how long the engine lives.

but for now... it's going into the garage :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Bori

That sucks. :doh:

These cars are a money pit. I just spent $1,500 to get mine fixed and it still needs work.

Aaahhhh nothing like having an alltrac in the garage.

good luck man.