Throttle Position Sensor

Plex

Ok, so I removed my TPS and replaced it with a 4AG TPS (friend of mine said they were the same...) that didn'tfix anything, it just made a very bouncy idle, and when I hit the throttle it does nothing. I then replaced it with the original TPS (which wasn't TOO messed up) and it just did the same thing as the 4AGone (bouncy idle, no throttle)

I tested the plug for the TPS, there was resistance (not sure the right amount, because I dont have the link to the BGB..) in the second wire down of the 4.
Trying to locate the ECU on this car, not sure where it is tho.. I think it might need resetting via unplugging and re-plugging it in.

Any ideas guys? Whats the link to the BGB on this site?

GMan

HI Plex

>tPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:29 pm
> Ok, so I removed my TPS and replaced it with a 4AG TPS
> (friend of mine said they were the same...)

Are the same ? I dunno?

> I then replaced it with the original TPS (which wasn't TOO messed up)

How messed up is it ?

>(bouncy idle, no throttle)

Are there any codes out of the ECU ?

> I tested the plug for the TPS, there was resistance

Well that is Something.

>(not sure the right amount, because I dont have the link to the BGB..)

Why don't you get a BGB, or search on this or other sites
for a BGB. There have been postings on the MRII board.
www.mr2OC.com.

Chiltons at Least. I found general Celica one at the
Library. :)

>Trying to locate the ECU on this car, not sure where it is tho..

It is under the dash behind the radio. The plug is on the
passenger side.

>I think it might need resetting via unplugging and re-plugging it in.

Please try pulling the ECU fuse, and or pulling the battery (-)
cable, that will reset the ECU as well.

It is Hard to diagnose a problem across the internet.
A bit more research will go a long way to solving the problem.
Good luck.

Regards;

pepper

Although you may have got it figured out now, here's the procedure for checking the TPS. You'll need an ohmmeter and a .5mm (.02") and .7mm (.028") feeler gauges. The feeler gauges go between the throttle stop screw and the stop lever, as needed.

The 4 pins on the TPS, from top to bottom when mounted on the TB are VC, VTA, IDL and E2. Here's the resistance readings to check between the different pins at various clearances between the lever and stop screw:

0mm (closed throttle); VTA - E2; .2k - .8k ohms
.50mm; IDL - E2; 2.3k ohms or less
.70mm; IDL - E2; infinity
throttle fully open; VTA - E2 3.3k - 10.3k ohms
throttle fully open; VC - E2; 3k - 8.3k ohms

Hope you've got it going!

-Mike

Plex

We ghettorigged that shizz to get me home by: Zip tieing / removing spring in TPS, thus making the ECU think I'm at WOT all the time.. POURING fuel in (no prob, only went like 10 miles)

Then went and met a REALLY cool guy named David who happened to have a TPS from his JDM 3SGTE laying around.. hes letting me borrow it until I can get another.
The connecter is different for the JDM TPS, theirs is higher quality, IMO. So he let me take a slice outta the harness and take the connecter too.. I get to bust out the soldering skills.

Long story short, I got it home, its going to get that JDM TPS installed in the morning (its 1 AM here) And I'll let you all know how it turns out..

Maloy

Is your TPS installed correctly, when i did mine it took a few days of adjusting it back and forth to get it right. Moving it just a little bit seemed to make a big difference

Matt Maloy
white st165
blue st165 parts car
Seattle, WA

Plex

Yeah, I'm like 99.9% sure it was installed correctly.. We tried adjusting it, but no matter where I adjusted it, the car wouldn't raise in RPM's when I hit the gas, so thats pretty weak...

I took a TPS from David, off his JDM one, I soldered it into place, etc but the goddamn thing was like 90 deg off, I'll post pics in a min (gotta take some) so then I was like 'ok.. i'll just take the whole TB off and swap those. I get the WHOLE TB assembly from David (god I love that guy, he's awesome, helping me out liek this and all) And tried to make that one work, but its different, has one too many coolant lines (wtf?) and the sensor thing to open and close one of them (for what? I have no idea) is on the wrong side, so my harness wont reach it.

I tried swapping them any way I could.. i THINK I might be able to just swap the butterfly thing from the JDM (MR2...) 3SGTE into mine, to make the TPS work..

Maybe I'll just beat the damn thing into submission hahaha

Plex

Pics: (note that US parts are always on the left, JDM on the right)

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010007.JPG

Plex

Should I just take the 2 TB's apart and try to adapt the US one to accept the JDM TPS? I think thats what i'm gonna have to do

Any other options guys? Anyone have an extra TPS laying around that you just wanna give me for now? I gotta get to work and shizz, had to call in today haha... Anyone in the Portland (Oregon) area???

Plex

Anyone? I need help here.. the 2 TB's wouldn't come apart... so I REALLY need some help here

alltracman78

So the US one is 4 pin, and the JDM is 3 pin? That's wierd. I know the US 185 is the same as the 5sfe w/ect (auto), but I don't know for the 165. Connector looks different.
Are you sure that's off a 3sgte?

RedCelicaTRD

The JDM one is off of a ST185. That will cause problems if you try to swap sensors. That 3rd hose barb is the idle speed controller and the other two are for coolant (you dont need coolant hooked up).

Plex

I see.. the one for the ST165 is also shared by:
87 - 92 Camry (4 banger and V6 models)
86 - 90 Celica
85 - 89 MR2

They all share the same TPS, same part numbers too.. but my car STILL wont hold idle, it just does the bouncy thing still, even though I changed the TPS

ghetto.. anyone around here (Portland / Vancouver area) wanna come and gimmie a hand?