93 Celica GT engine swap?

Lipps

I am planing to start daily driving my 93 Celica GT this spring or I will probable have to sell it, just to many projects. I got this car with a bad clutch, thought it would make a cheep daily driver it had a lot of new parts and about 130k. I replaced the clutch, flywheel, rear main seal and all the core plugs I could locate when I discovered the one behind the transmission leaking antifreeze. I enjoyed driving the car for couple year although I replaced a ton of parts in that time. 2 years ago I got into a fender bender not my fault took the insurance money (and a load of cash) installed alltrac front sheet metal, front bumper and complete professionally repainted the car with new wheels and tires the car looks great. The original 2.2 in this car has always been a dog I can only assume its just badly worn as it has stated to smoke on hot start up. I did a complete tune up even replacing the distributor (new Toyota part) and timing belt all this made very little difference in the power. I think its time to replace the engine, what would be the easiest most economical engine swap to get close to 200 HP for a daily driver? I also need a alternator one of the few thing I have not replaced has crapped out while siting in the garage dose any know what will interchange? Some places say 93 Celica 5 speed only, others say 90-93 Celicas and yet others include a bunch of Toyotas Camrys and Corollas I would like to do something cheep just for now till I switch engines.

underscore

I think the consensus would be a 3S swap, probably a 205 or 215 engine. If you need a cheap alternator why not get your current one rebuilt? Assuming only one part is toast it should be cheaper than getting a new one.

Lipps

I would love a 3sgte but most of what I have read said to buy a front clip to have what you need, the ones I have priced 2500. and up which is a little rich for my blood. I know a salvage yard has 2 US market MR2 low miles I am not worried about installing the engine but don't want to spend a year trying it get the wiring harness straightened out and everything working. Has anyone installed MR2 wiring harness and computer in a Celica. What about rebuilding the stock 2.2 with a 3sgte head and intake could get custom piston to bump up the compression skip the turbo would my wiring harness and computer work?