Toyota AE111 4A 4 throttle Front Clip

streetcelica3

i saw this motor for sale i havent heard to much about them had a few questions.
http://flashoptions.com/product.asp?prodID=83

the motor comes 4 individuale throttle bodies. was wondering what kinda power do this engines put out? whats the rev limts? has anyone done this kinda swap. from what i can see its a 1.6 right? my question it will it bolt right up to the ST model celica with the 1.6 in it. what kinda wiring would i be looking at or would it just be a ecu swap?

reason im asking theres a local jdm shop here that has that same front clip there. it seems to be a interesting set up that might make some power.

Sifu

ITB themselves usually don't make HUGE HP gains but they do make for a faster responding rev. And the sound note on ITB's is something you have to witness... Joy... BTW, I can't open your link. Taking forever to open up.

You want to put it on your FWD ST? Yeah, I can see some problems with that swap. There will be some major modifications on your part. Anything is possible w/ the money though. But IMHO it isn't worth it.

streetcelica3

Sifu":z46f224z said:
ITB themselves usually don't make HUGE HP gains but they do make for a faster responding rev. And the sound note on ITB's is something you have to witness... Joy... BTW, I can't open your link. Taking forever to open up.

You want to put it on your FWD ST? Yeah, I can see some problems with that swap. There will be some major modifications on your part. Anything is possible w/ the money though. But IMHO it isn't worth it.

link works fine for me. the car some stock with the itb;s which is crazy so there has to be some numbers for the motor from the factory. what kinda modifications would there be. both the motor from that car and my st are 1.6. i would think the mounts would be the same right? maybe even the tranny. its just a werid motor would be awsome if it could pull some hevy numbers. oh and no money is a problem here. lol

Sifu

Black top 4age = 140hp? ITB and I believe you won't see more than 150+. On an ST I don't think it's worth it considering some people put the 3sgte that makes 200hp.

streetcelica3

Sifu":1tqj4s0r said:
Black top 4age = 140hp? ITB and I believe you won't see more than 150+. On an ST I don't think it's worth it considering some people put the 3sgte that makes 200hp.

yea i couls but just looking for something differnt to do with this car. want to make good numbers all motor. my other 2 cars are making in the 300hps so a fast turbo car isnt a big thing. i want a rare all motor with this celica

TheAutoholic

Sifu":2x0mnb64 said:
www.club4ag.com

Have phun, they will flame you to death if you ask the wrong questions without doing some research...
This is true. Use their search buttom well before asking anything.

And a 4A-GE swap would be fun, but it would be a lot more work than a 3S-GTE, and could possibly cost more in the end too. All with out the hp of the 3S. The 4A-GE is an amazing motor, but I would suggest leaving it in AW11s and corollas.

Sifu

Well we've never done the search so since it's your endevour I suggest you look it up and ask. My opinion (I have owned an Celica ST in the past) is this. Even though the engine is the same displacement I would assume that they do not fit without some modifications (moving motor mounts and other engine bay goodies).

For the most part, Toyota and direct swap don't work interchangebly unless you are using nearly the same engine. What I do know about the paltry 1.6 ST engine is that it is a 4afe (possibly same gen as the blacktop you're looking at) so it may be a direct swap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4A-FE

As for the tranny issue I've heard some Club4ag swapping towards a Camry tranny, although I've only heard I've never really been abled to confirm it. For the most part the Corolla engines weren't too abusive for many of them to swap it out. I am also guessing that there are shorter gearings in the Corolla than the Camry so many users opted out of that idea.

In the end it's your money, time and investment. I honestly think that with that money invested in a 3sgte swap (which has been done numerous times AND with some very good results; swapping it into a fwd Celica IS quicker than the stock Alltrac) you will net better gains. You will have one of the best 4 bangers on the planet, more internal engine parts available (thank the MR2 crowd), turbo (really, a turbo, much easier to add the hp) and being dropped in you will still see better results than the blacktop swap.

90CelicaST

The 4AGE 20v will fit fine in the ST engine bay. The only motor mount modification is you will have to shave one of the mounts down so it doesn't hit the timing cover. The wiring (as I am told) is a real pain in the ass. You will have to use the full 4AGE 20v harness and ecu.

More helpful links
HERE and HERE

GT4times2

Yes, the 4AGE 20V motor will bolt on. It's been done before numerous times. It will work on the Celica ST not the Celica GT. The ST comes with the 7AFE motor, which is similar to the 4AGE. They both go in the Corolla, and will fit only in the Celica ST with minor mods. As for hp, the 4AGE 20v motor pushes between 160-170hp, not 140. They have a great aftermarket, better than the 3SGTE in Japan. Parts are dime a dozen for these cars. TRD, TOMS, HKS, Trust/Greddy and countless others make parts for the 4AG motor. The only thing is that the 3S will make way more power. :wink:

86turboswap

I have done many 20v 4A-GE swaps
I still have one of the cars a 85 corolla with a stroked 4A-GE silvertop with a custom fabbed turbo kit. I used to rev the thing in upwards of 9500rpms I got about 35-40,000 miles on it still running strong.

The 20v will drop right into your car and bolt up, you have to do some creative wiring to wire the engine all up & ensure that all your factory accessories still work correctly. as far as the transmission goes you need to get a 87-89 Corolla FX16 transmission they have 4.18:1 Final drive & have a closer ratio between gears. the corolla with a stock 20v and the FX16 tranny was running low 14's I assume that is possible in the celica as well.
TODA also makes alot or parts for the 20v.. If you plan on turboing the engine deffinately go with the silvertop engine & get a blacktop harness & ECU the blacktop has a higher compression ratio & a more closed combustion chamber prone to detonation.

$200GT-4

There's some knowledgeable people over there, but they don't post near enough it seems. There's a ton of n00bs over there that can't even change their own spark plugs, the vehicular IQ on this forum seems a bit higher and far less ricey. Back on subject though, I have a silvertop in my wife's car. I thought it felt pretty decent while my supercharged version was blown up, but as soon as I felt that boost again the silvertop seems like a snail. Blacktop's a little better, has lighter internals and a non-reinforced block. Stock for stock blacktop is king, but if you want to get heavy into mods then the silvertop with its heavier internals is the better bet. Silvertop, 10.5:1 CR, 160hp. Blacktop, 11:1 CR, 165hp. I've heard the blacktop will respond VERY well to a standalone and raising the rev limiter, but have never seen it firsthand. Late 4A-GZE, 8.9:1 CR, 10psi stock, 170hp with the torque to back it up. You know where my preferences lie if you've seen my build. N/A sounds sweet as can be but it doesn't outweigh the pull of a boosted engine in my book. Any "A" series engine will bolt in place of another, it's up to you to sort out the accessories and wiring. Just remember if it bolts to the block it's compatible. "FE" and "GE" series heads are where the differences lie. I've gotta say though, having driven a silvertop and 3S-GE, the 3S is hands down the better engine. That extra 200cc is all the difference in the world, so much more torque. Mind you this is all JDM crap, I don't know if the USDM 3S-GE was weaker than its JDM counterpart, just my $.02.